1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norway History

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I've often wondered...
    Norway, Sweden, Denmark the small collective of states in the far north...
    How the hell have you seemingly escaped most of the insanity that afflicts almost all of the rest of the world?

Is the snow too deep to find evil in?
    Are your women to attractive to abandon for empty ambition?
    Do you pray to elder Gods that grant you peace?

I don't mean to put you on the spot but it seems to me your people have
    something to give this world and we don't posses the wisdom to find out what it is and pursue it!

Alright, I don't really mind putting you on the spot.

I would like very much to hear your views as far as what you feel sustains the basic sanity
    of these countries; when so little makes sense in the rest of the world.
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Warning: When I first started writing I didn't stop until I had written a short novel here. Mods, feel free to split this into a separate topic to keep things tidy.

To be honest, I don't know. It might have had something to do with the fact that we are a bit isolated here to the north. Norway, Sweden and Denmark are all very similar countries, but that's because we are basically the same people. The languages are similar enough that anyone from any of the Scandinavian countries can understand each other. We do have a bloody history if you go back 1000 years, but after the viking era it seems like we calmed down quite a lot.

We are not without our problems, but the traditional social democratic governments here seem to have managed to pull us through tough times without struggling too much. There has been some recent unrest with the immigration, although Sweden seem to have been hit the hardest. Here in Norway I don't recall any big issues except a few angry comments in online newspapers and social media. But in all honesty, I have no idea. I'm just trying to look at the larger picture here in an attempt to find anything.

I have to admit that our media is deserving of thanks, even though I personally think they have a tendency to create huge issues of small things. But at the same time, our media is very good at putting the spotlight at any misconduct or misbehaviour from politicians. Other cases that have required public attention have also been brought into public view by the media.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to find all the positive sides here, we have our fair share of negative traits too. Not too long ago, there was a group who called themselves "Soldiers of Odin" who started patrolling the streets at night in response to the increased immigration. They claimed to only want to ensure safety on the streets at night, but most members were known to be supporters of right wing extremist organizations and there were even a few neo-nazi members as well. But after a few months of media attention, it all seemed to die down. I want to point out that the majority of the population was not interested in having a group like this "protecting" people. They did thankfully not have the support of the general populace.

This country is also (in my opinion) a bit too involved in warfare in other parts of the world, but I guess that is to be expected as a NATO member.

On a personal level, I believe that we simply don't like conflict in general. Most people here are content to live their lives as they wish, and don't really mind how others choose to live (provided the same respect is shown in return). I suppose we are lucky.

As for religious matters: We have a state church in Norway and a lot of people are member of the church, but that is just tradition. Most people here are not particularly religious. I only have one personal acquaintance who attends church, at least that I know of. Religion is considered a very private thing. It's not something people talk about. In most situations it would be considered rude if you ask someone directly about their religious beliefs. That actually reminds me of a previous prime minister we had roughly a decade ago. We were at the time sending fighter jets to participate in NATO operations in Afghanistan. The prime minister at the time was from our only political party who are focused on christian values. The prime minister was having a public speak as the military planes were sent off, and he talked about god in this speak. There was a huge negative reaction from the public and the media because of that. People did not like how he was involving religion into the speak related to a war effort, and people also felt it was insulting to those in the population who didn't share the same belief. He never held a similar speak after that. I thought this was a good example of what relationship people have to religion here.

But like I said, we also have a lot of problems and even extreme tragedies. And no matter where in the world you are, you can't escape the occasional lunatic who just wants to bring the world down. It's not too many years since the tragedy with the bombs in Oslo and the following shooting at Utøya. But when it comes to people like that, I don't think there is anything that could have been done to make them reconsider such actions.

You know, now that I really think about it, it seems like it could just be that we are so small. We have tragedies, but they are rare because compared to most other countries, we have such a low population. It's easy to keep things sane on a small scale. We are currently at roughly 5,2 million inhabitants.

Whew, that's a lot of words without really saying anything, haha. Any ideas, observations, or questions are of course most welcome.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thread moved to "Random Nonsense" :cool:
    Let me know if you don't like the title of the thread.

I'm sure being a small country attributes to staying neutral... I'm surprised Hitler didn't try to take smaller countries like that in WWII.
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Norway was occupied during WWII from 1940 to the end of the war in 1945. There was even a political party that supported the occupation. During the occupation, the royal family fled north and then over sea to the UK.

Interestingly, after the war we reinstated death penalty (it had been abolished in Norway before the war), only to execute the leader of the political party that had supported and aided in the occupation. Then afterwards, death penalty was abolished again.

We are not really neutral anymore with the NATO membership and troops stationed in several other countries.
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yes, you said little, but you told us much!
    As I read I kept coming to the same things that seem to have drawn your attention.
    Smallness that engenders an ethic of privacy..i.e. minding one's own business.
    An ethnic unity and shared history, shared language.
    (I didn't know that the Scandinavian countries were so linguistically similar!)
    all good things to have!

Yet...
    I think we both know there is something missing here. Something not accounted for by the advantages You've mentioned.

Something perhaps undefined in the spirit of the people you live among?

Somehow, it seems to me that you've been able to preserve the spirit of "A" people.
    You're managed to remain yourselves. No easy thing in he world of NATO.

I really don't mean to poke and prod, It's just that having a Scandinavia in the world seem to say to the rest of us:

"Look your so close, how do you keep missing it!? "

Well I really do thank you for taking the time to humor me. I may not have quite found what I was looking for, But your words hold real value for me. Thank you!

To all others I say:
    Beware! The Vikings have charted a new course and if we are not careful we maybe left in the wake of their progress! ":O}
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yes, it is always interesting to hear about the history and culture of a different country. But more than that, its great to hear it from someone you know instead of just reading about it.

I'm glad that countries keep their language and cultures. Its important because if the civilization has survived so many years, they must be doing something right.

In USA we don't really have a unified culture. There are so many different people from so many places/cultures. Melting pot is our culture. If anything we consistently worship:
    • Money
    • Sex
    • Materialism
    • Knowledge
    • Power
    We are so good at these things that we parade them in media and expect everyone to follow suite.
    Yes we have freedom but we are slaves to our sin
  7. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    But it wasn't always that way, and it doesn't necessarily have to be that way now.

Our founding fathers recognized that the biggest problem with governments came about when those who did the governing were able to be separate from those they governed. This is inherent when you have an aristocracy. It is common with a dictatorship. It can happen when you have a democracy.

The way you prevent this is by not allowing government to become a large powerful beast. More specifically, you don't allow the creation of a powerful central government where the members can get by without seeing the 'little people'.

Our government was largely this way until around the early 1900s. Things started to change after WWI but really got rolling with the 'New Deal'. This was followed in the 50s by the rise of the 'Military-Industrial Complex', and accelerated again by the civil unrest of the 60s and 70s.

At each stage we keep increasing the power of the central government. Inevitably, we create a ruling class who are separate from the rest of us.

It's very easy for me to make a decision that adversely affects someone I've never met and likely will never meet because the live 100 miles or more away. It's very much harder to make a decision that adversely affects my neighbor when I know I'm going to have to look them in the eye tomorrow.

This is why "power is best kept closest to the people".
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    The forces that unite us, it seems to me, will always do so along the lines of our common interests. I believe you just said that Gizmo":O}

If the Big D. doesn't mind I'll use Norway as an example.

Small country with a limited number of possible factions.
    Every one learns the same customs, manner of polite speech, history.

The uniting principle can be very strong without it's necessary opposite side of the coin, exclusion of the "outsider", becoming a problem.

Outsiders are few and can be accommodated and the exceptions they represent are often seen as "exotic, new and a little wonderful. The outsider in this case doesn't have the social weight to pull apart the main cultural cohesion.

The outsider will in time be absorbed.
    Whatever new things, crafts, music, art and having cake and ice cream at birthdays they may have brought to their new home will have to stand the test of time. If it's really good, it will become Norwegian.":O}

Such a people I would imagine would be fairly easily governed by a reasonable government.
    What is good for one Norwegian will likely be seen as something favorable by all Norwegian to the
    extent that they share in the same general life.
    Alas America is not Norway.

Americans do not always share the same culture with one another. We often cannot count on common cultural customs to help us really understand one another. I can't immediately think of another country that has ever endured so long so divided.

Yet..How to govern people does not seem to me to be our real problem. Justice will nearly always takes care of that even when people are largely divided in their views. If every one believes that the majority view prevailed, in justice, then even those disappointed understand the fairness they were dealt with.

For me (I can't say that enough, these are just my own musings and shouldn't interfere with anyone else's musings":O}
    The problem is one of good and evil.
    We either are willing to sacrifice to see the good done or we are willing to sacrifice the good too see our own will done.

America is losing the battle one person at a time. One vote at a time.

But as your Good Jesus is reported to have said:
    "I come not for the many, but for the few."

This was never a battle we were going to win. We are few and getting fewer all the time.
    Evil has EVERY advantage in the fight.
    If I'm willing to kill your children to prevail...
    What must the world become to stop me?

I can, I will be stopped. But what must the world REALLY become to stop me?

I will lie, mis-direct, war upon the helpless and the innocent. I will betray my own father.

What must the world of men become to effectively stop me?

I feel we have but two choices.

The obvious, we grid our selfs for battle and strike at the heart of our enemy, we demoralize him by the slaughter of his children..and history thus unfolds and brings to light every darkness in the human heart.
    Or

We can become the unflinching servants of justice. We can guard against those faults we see in others and strike them from our own hearts. We can refuse to break and only bend before injustice.

We can not shelter our children. and so evil men have always preyed upon them.
    This cannot be changed.

This is the sorrow of this world. We can not save them. They are in "God's hands".

So my second option is this. Let us join our children in God's Hands.

Now if some of you are as I am and a bit uncertain of God existence or interest...
    I would say,
    it doesn't change anything.

We are still helpless before the fates, still helpless before the world as it comes into being each day. Still helpless to stop evil on it's daily delights.

All we really have to face this overwhelming opposition with is reliance upon a Universe that "grinds slowly, but exceedingly fine."
    This is not in our hands even as it is brought about by our hands...

"There is a bigger wave that this rising in this world".

God or no...we can choose to rise upon that wave until taken by the sharks.

I know, it doesn't sound all that good does it?
    Well.That's what happens when little minds take on great big questions! LOL
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016