1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oblivion Controller Setup

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jareth, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Jareth

Jareth New Member

Hello.

I've been looking around for instructions on setting up for use of a Controller for Oblivion.

I've found a little info, though nothing really conclusive yet, so it seems I'll be doing a little troubleshooting.

I'm using Debian 9 Stretch, & I have Oblivion installed with PlayOnLinux in 32 Bit.
    I as well installed joystick, jstest-gtk, & QJoyPad. I configured a controller setup with QJoyPad, though when I start the game, the controller works for a while, & then stops. I figure that there are configurations that I need to fill out in Oblivion.ini.
    (Note: When I get into Skyrim, I'll buy the Steam Special Edition of the game, for ease of installation.)

I wanted to give the community time to comment about the topic, though I intend to include somewhat of a working set of instructions.

Cheers!!
    booman likes this.
  2. Jareth

Jareth New Member

I found the Northern UI Mod for Controller Setup.
    The Mod can be used just for the Controller compatibility.
    The Northern UI Mod enables XINPUT Controllers (i.e. XBox 360 Controllers) compatibility.
    I ordered a USB powered generic version of the XBox Controller for about $20. I'll tell you how that works out.

I as well found documentation about utilization of Linux packages like QJoyPad & Joy2Key. I tried QJoyPad with a PS3 style Logitech controller, though that didn't work, not actually. I tried setting the Oblivion.ini Joystick=0 configuration for functionality of my QJoyPad key mappings, though that still didn't work, not actually.
    Unfortunately, the package that's supposed to facilitate reported successful functionality of Joy2Key mappings, titled "AntimicroX" was not available in the Debian Stretch repository, not actually, though I noticed it's available in a later release of Debian.

Perhaps that will help some people with terminologies to search in google.
    ^.^
    booman likes this.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Nice information! I couldn't imagine playing Oblivion or Skyrim without a keyboard and mouse.
    Its just so smooth and all the keys I need are right at my fingertips.

Let us know if you are able to get it working with a controller