1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ouch! Does this guy know what he's talking about?

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by cloasters, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Enterprise started out slow, got fairly good in seasons 2 and 3 IMO, and then went back to 'meh' land.

I've tried (honestly, I really did try) to watch Discovery. I was only able to get about 15 minutes in, on 3 different attempts. It's seems as though the people in charge don't have a clue what they're doing, and the writers therefore don't have a clear direction, so they just mash a bunch of unoriginal derivative crap together. It also doesn't help that the whole show seems to be a ripoff of the 'Tardigrades' game.

That has left me with a sour taste in my mouth for ANY of the 'new' Star Trek shows. Plus, the ST community at large doesn't seem to be overly impressed with them either.

'The Orville' on the other hand, I'm really looking forward to another season of.

I prefer owning my video, so that I can decide what and when I want to watch, rather than being at the mercy of whatever agreements Netflix/Hulu/Amazon have in place at a particular time, and what they decide I'm worthy enough to view.

Ripping the discs to Plex allows me to then store the discs in a safe place, away from harm, while still being able to view my shows whenever I want.
    Daerandin likes this.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

DS-9 created a family that I was very happy to call my own. TNG had a few dogs that were embarrassing in their weakness. My opinion worth less than a puff of wind.
  3. Gizmo

Home page:
    I do agree that DS9 was arguably the best of the TNG series, arguably the best ST period.

DS9 was also arguably a ripoff of Babylon 5 (the show that J. Michael Straczynski had shopped to Paramount in '89, and then finally got PTEN to bite on in '91). At the same time, though, DS9 was original enough that you didn't watch it thinking "I've seen this before". Even assuming the concept and some plot points from B5 made it into DS9, it's obvious that there was a lot of independent work and thought put into DS9, making it unique in its own right.

And just to be clear, I am a huge fan of B5. It's obvious that JMS worked on B5 a LOT. The later stuff that he produced as spinoffs of B5 just didn't have the same polish to them, IMO.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I grew up watching The Next Generation every night in High School. Loved it!
    Loved the movies!

Kinda watched Deep Space Nine and later Voyager. Loved the games as well. I was never much of a Star Wars fan... sadly. Star Wars is good, but loved the TV shows that finalize the short story in the same episode. Hate waiting for the whole season to finalize every plot.
  5. Gizmo

Home page:
    I prefer a mix; I like the episodic format where everything is a self-contained story, but there are also bits of a bigger story unfolding at the same time, sort of a 'day in the life' kind of format, but you also get glimpses into something larger that is happening as well. SG1 did that really well, I thought, particularly later in the series when they were able to bring in threads from earlier seasons (not just earlier episodes).