1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam client security lock

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by clockshell, Dec 22, 2014.

1. clockshell

clockshell New Member

Hello again!

There is some issue which is bothering me a little bit. It's not a big thing but still a pain in the ass. Everytime I switch between the native Steam client and the one I run via PoL, I have to confirm, it is my machine via an email activation code.

Is there a way to work this around without losing safety levels?

Kind regards!
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    You should be able to select the option to remember and trust your current machine so you do not need to additional email code on each login.

Do keep in mind that running natibe Linux Steam, and Steam via PoL are seen as different machines by Steam. That is also true if you have several virtual drives in PoL using Steam, they will all register as different machines.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yeah, that is strange, I never get that verification warning on the same computer.
    Ironically I ran LinSteam today and then installed Grim Dawn via WinSteam in PlayOnLinux
    Never got a warning at all...

Now if I go an login to another computer that I've never logged into before, I will get this warning and an automated email.
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

5. booman

Home page:
    That is strange...
    I test games all the time in Steam with PlayOnLinux
    Maybe that setting Daerandin is talking about works across-the-board on all Steam installations.

I have 6 gaming computers all with Steam installed. Then I test games in PlayOnLinux with Steam and use the LinSteam as well. So if anyone should get those "verify computer" warnings, it should be me.
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    You need to specifically enable Steam Guard, it is not on by default. It gives you a second layer of protection, meaning that if someone got a hold of your password, they still would not be able to log in to your Steam account on a different computer without also having access to your email.

But different virtual drives with PlayOnLinux are registering as different computers. Same as using Native Linux Steam, and Windows Steam in Wine on the same computer. But after logging in the first time in a new virtual drive, you can select to remember that "computer" so at least you are never asked for the verification when you log in to the same Steam install.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Ah, thats it!
    Thanks Daerandin, I have Steam Guard disabled so I never get these verifications unless I log into a new computer
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    If you have it disabled, you should never require any verification even if logging in from a new computer.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Hmm, then maybe its only set per-Steam installation
    Like you said, its off by default, but there are times when I have logged into a new computer for the first time and Steam requires a verification code that is emailed to me.