1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Streaming Works

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by booman, Sep 23, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Last weekend I went ahead and tried some Steam Streaming from my Windows Vista machine to my Acer C710 Chromebook with ChrUbuntu (12.04). Both are on wired gigabit network switches to make sure I get the best bandwidth possible.

All I had to do was login to my Steam account in Windows, then login to my Steam account in ChrUbuntu.
    Then my Windows Games showed up on my Linux Steam list (In bold)

I launched Torchlight II and then waited for the launcher to start... which it did!
    Clicked play and it began loading...

Then I was in-game and playing Torchlight II. Actually looked pretty good on my 32in TV and audio was fine.
    After playing for about 5 minutes I did notice some image degradation.
    I'm not sure if it is due to my gigabit switches or the fact that Torchlight II is running at 1920x1080 in Windows and trying to stream it?

I'll try lowering the resolution to match my TV or my Chromebook. Then see if the bandwidth is better.
    I'm very impressed, its not the same as playing on the PC, but its very console-like and I can sit on my comfortable couch and play games.