1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The IRC channel is OPEN: #GamersOnLinux [irc.OFTC.net]

Discussion in 'News' started by ThunderRd, Sep 21, 2014.

• by ThunderRd, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM
  • ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    After a month of experimentation and discussion, we can announce that the *OFFICIAL* IRC channel for Gamers On Linux is at:

irc.oftc.net
    #GamersOnLinux

Aremis has pitched in and will help supervise the channel, I'll be in there, and anyone else who wants to can drop by and have a bit of a chat with us. Beware of the time zones and don't get frustrated, thinking we are ignoring you: you might not get an answer right away until we have more participants lurking around. I'm in GMT +7, and Aremis is in GMT -6. If I'm sleeping, you'll see my name as 'thunderrd[away]', so you know I won't be back for some time. Aremis and I plan to be logged in 24/7, but of course, we aren't always available.

Like most things of this nature, popularity can develop slowly, so give it a try and see how you like it.

Just go in, ask away, and idle in the channel; hopefully if this thing gets rolling we can have some of our 'experts' around frequently. Make appointments with your mates if you want: a PM to the one you want to talk to like, "meet me at #gamersonlinux at 6" might be a way to make sure you're there at the same time. I'd like to ask that any/all of our regular posters and 'guidemeisters' get involved by keeping your clients logged in to the channel whenever you're online [the clients are all very light on resources, so there's no performance hit]. This gives an appearance that there is some activity in the channel, and it allows us to help others and each other as quickly as possible.

If IRC is new to you, you will find that it is quite simple, actually. First, you need a client. There are a bunch of good ones, and they will all do an adequate job. I use hexchat, which is a fork of the now-deprecated Xchat. Gizmo has told me that Pidgin has an IRC client or plugin, as well, if you use that for an IM app.

Install the client, and give yourself a nickname. Then, then find OFTC in the server list. Connect to it [normally through port 6667] and type:

/join #gamersonlinux

This will immediately place you in the channel. You will see your name in the current users field. This is where you can see who else is logged in to the channel. Then, just say hello!

If you have any requests for login /client help, feedback, suggestions, or other comments, post them in this thread.
    Aremis likes this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by ThunderRd, Sep 21, 2014.

1. booman
    I'm having a hard time deciding to do the live chat.
    For one, I only have about an hour-n-1/2 every morning to test/play games and don't want to be distracted by chat rooms. Then when I'm at work, I can't install a chat client because I'm not supposed to since its not work related.

If it was a web-based chat with not installation necessary, I would probably use it.
  2. ThunderRd
    Look, it's no problem if you can't be in there all of the time.

But I'd suggest that you install the client anyhow; just in case you run into something that requires real-time support, so you have a place to go to do that. It also might be a good venue in case we need to have a partners' meeting. Sometimes our email threads can be tedious.
  3. booman
    Yeah, I see that as important, but I will probably ask them to post in the forum. That way people can read our solutions for years to come...
    I really like the longevity of forums. chat rooms are more for quick meaningless... well... chatting.
  4. ThunderRd
    I get it, it's not for everyone. But don't sell its capabilities short.

I think you're underestimating what you are able to accomplish in IRC. It can be much more than meaningless chatting.

- There is something that you can do in a chat channel that you can't in a forum. That is real-time support. If a guy is having a specific problem on a live machine, and he's looking for a way out NOW, this is it.

-You can transfer files peer-to-peer via DCC. That patch that the guy wants to fix his game or mod it? That quick script you kludge for him to get something working? No need for you to tell him to go elsewhere to get it. You have it, and you DCC it to him.

I know it's apples and oranges compared to our situation, but #gentoo, for example, has upwards of 1000 users logged in at any given time. #debian often has 1500+. #ubuntu and all of its variants? Probably 3-4000 at any given time. There could be a dozen different support conversations going on at the same time, and normally, everybody leaves happy.

The big channels have rules, too. There isn't any idle chatter allowed. Mods keep the discussions moving, and keep everyone on-topic. It's all business. Most of the time, there is a #xyx channel for the serious business, and a #xyx-chat channel in case people want to 'just chat'.

As we speak, there are 220 game-related channels on Freenode, and another 20-25 on OFTC. Some of them are related to specific games. Others are related to specific genres, etc.

It is a different culture completely from the forum culture. And that is precisely why it is useful, although a large number of Internet users don't even know it exists. I go way back with IRC; in the early 90's, when IRC was still new, I was a regular participant in rec.gambling.poker on Usenet. We had a loooong discussion of the possibility of an free IRC poker server. I think it was Todd Mummert and Greg Reynolds who actually coded the thing, and it became very popular. We even had a few WSOP champions that played regularly, and many other really good players there.

That's all gone now, with the age of real money gambling sites. But folks discovered other uses for IRC in the meantime.
  5. booman
    Very good points! I almost wish there was a remote client built-in as well.
    Is there a way to save the chat if I helped someone (or was helped) and it was a significant victory?
  6. ThunderRd
    Your client can log the channel and the parameters for that are most likely adjustable, check in the settings area someplace.

I see you made it in there earlier, I was out at the time but I'm glad you were successful. We'll meet sometime.
  7. booman
    Yup, you convinced me to check it out, but haven't convinced me to commit to the cause ;)
    I noticed there wasn't any kind of notification that someone replied. How do you chat and work in another window/desktop at the same time?
  8. ThunderRd
    I believe your tray icon should blink if there is unread activity in the channel. It always did for me in Xchat and it does in hexchat as well.

You can also open a user-to-user window. Right click on a username in the right-hand panel, and open a private messaging window. You can click on it in the left hand panel and detach it, and size it to place anywhere you want, so you can keep an eye on it. It will only contain the direct conversation, and will not display any of the channel operating messages like arrivals and departures.

There is also a sound configuration, if you want the client to notify you via a sound ping.

What you sound like you need is multiple desktops, though. Try a tiling WM like me? :)
  9. booman
    Nice, I'll check out those features as well.
    I'm using multiple desktops, but would love to hear a sound like Google chat does.
    Otherwise I'm Ctrl+Alt+arrow-keys all the time checking to see if someone responded.

So much pressure! :D

I saw the icon, but didn't notice it at first. I'll try to keep an eye on it.
  10. booman
    I'm trying Xchat on my ChrUbuntu chromebook, but it won't find the server.
    It won't let me use /join
    but instead recommends /server
    I have tried typing gamersonlinux and #gamersonlinux but still can't find it.
  11. booman
    I think my work firewall is blocking ports
  12. ThunderRd
    You need port 6667 open. That is the standard port the protocol wants to use.

/server connects to the IRC server/network, but not to the channel. That is what /join is for.

First, type /server irc.oftc.net to connect to the server, then after connection is complete, /join #gamersonlinux to join the channel.

You can set the options to do both of these steps automatically every time you start the client as well, and/or connect to any other channels you wish. My setup connects to three IRC networks and about 20 different channels every time it fires up.
  13. booman
    I installed hexchat in ChrUbuntu and same problem. My boss probably hasport 6667 blocked for security. so guess I won't be chatting from home.

This is another reason why a shoutbox would be helpful.
    Not to mention encourage gamers to sign up because only members can chat on the shoutbox
  14. Lorena
    is that irc channel still working? How can I join and what program i need to install to use it?
  15. booman
    I have no idea. I never really used it because my work has blocked it on the firewall.
  16. ThunderRd
    The IRC channel is always open; I keep it that way. Unfortunately, it doesn't get the traffic I wish it would. I think it's a great way to talk to the folks here in real time. Maybe we can give it a kick start.

It's at #gamersonlinux on OFTC: you need an IRC chat client to visit it, like Xchat or hexchat on Linux, or mIRC on windows. Sketchy instructions are in the OP.

@Brian: I can't imagine that your firewall has blocked port 6667. That would be overly tedious, since there really aren't any threat vectors there. Looking back at your posts in this thread, I think that perhaps you haven't properly logged onto the the server before you attempted to /join the channel.
  17. Lorena
    Many common people dont know how IRC chat works and dont want to spend time understanding how to get there. I saw many webchats that are easy to access in other websites. Maybe thats one of the reasson why people dont join. Simplicity sometimes goes a long way.
  18. Lorena
    I was able to connect to gamersonlinux on IRC
  19. ThunderRd
    I see you got there; I'm on the other side of the world, though, so I was most likely sleeping.