1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve In-Home Game Streaming

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, May 23, 2014.

• by booman, May 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Is this the answer all of us Wine'rs are looking for?
    Playing Windows games in Linux by streaming the video+mouse+keyboard?

Valve In-Home Game Streaming

I use VNC and Remote Desktop all the time. The performance has never been good enough to actually play a game through it! But apparently remote access have become much more optimized than I realized.

There are claims of people streaming Skyrim from their Windows to SteamOS.
    Could this put Wine out-of-business?
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, May 23, 2014.

1. Fryndr
    It's not the answer for me. I don't like monopolisers. It stifles creativity.
  2. booman
    Agreed, it kinda seems like a quick-n-easy way to play games anywhere instead of solving the real problem: Games need to run in all OS's
  3. Daerandin
    I believe this is intended for people who buy a Steambox, and want to play their windows games too. However, for people who do not use Windows at all, this is not useful.
  4. booman
    I'm wondering if it is a good work-around to avoid Wine?
    A windows gamer could try out Linux on their laptop and stream their PC games directly from windows instead of messing with Wine and PlayOnLinux. The game is already installed and runs fine in windows, so why install again and troubleshoot all the libraries and driver issues if they can just stream it and get the same result?
  5. Daerandin
    I would not call it a work-around to wine. Wine provides a compatibility layer so that you can run windows binaries on Linux. In other words it let me run windows games on Linux. This streaming still require you to run the game on a windows computer, so not really much help for Linux gaming.
  6. booman
    Well, you are a programmer and Linux enthusiast, so I wouldn't expect you to use Streaming instead of Wine.
    But I wonder if this is a lame attempt to offer something low-quality for gamers who don't know any better?
  7. steve723
    Sounds similar to that stupid Google chrome book nonsence where you have a so called laptop but only if you hook up to the internet and allow the Google masters to run and control your life. I am sure there are plenty of robot humans out there that will think this a great thing. :rolleyes:
  8. booman
    Yes, but I have a chromebook with Ubuntu 12.04 on it... now I have freedom.
    I guess the benefit for me would be streaming my WinSteam games to my chromebook, but why would I want to do that when I can walk in the other room and play them in Windows?
  9. booman
    Now if I could stream my WinSteam games over the internet to my Chromebook, that is a whole different story. Then I could be playing my favorite games right in Linux on my little laptop anywhere I want.
  10. Gizmo
    It'll marginally work until AT&T and Verizon decide that STeam are consuming too much bandwidth, then they'll have to ink special deals (more money) or it will stop working altogether.
  11. steve723
    Maybe At&t, Verizon, Steam, Google and Microsoft are trying another way to sneak into peoples bank accounts! :rolleyes:
  12. booman
    Oh here we go!
  13. Aryvandaar
    This is not a solution. I want games to run native in Linux systems. If indie developers can make games for Linux systems, then all developers should be able to. Problem is that so many developers use engines that does not have Linux support.
  14. allenskd
    He's not that far from the truth though... those companies will try to capitalize on that with the excuse that it's hammering their services thus everyone should upgrade to a new shiny data plan. It just gonna costs an arm and leg.

As for that feature. I think I want to see Steam client be integrated into the desktop environment, let's not pretend that SteamOS is anything new... it's pretty much an OS with a Steam client running at startup so far.

I think that Valve is missing quite a huge opportunity. Quick example, MPD client built-in, mplayer integration. Sometimes I wish we could create our own plug-ins for Steam, that would be awesome.
  15. booman
    I wonder if some of these issues is why SteamOS is not released yet?
    So much potential, so many possibilities, what should Valve add, what should they remove?

I don't thing Streaming from a Windows to SteamOS is a good solution either. Its nice for an alternative because its like streaming games to your console that is plugged into your TV, but most of us Linux users would rather have Linux games.
  16. Gizmo
    I don't like streaming games to my console either....that's just another way of saying "We're too lazy to provide proper support"

What will eventually happen is that the console will become nothing more than a dedicated hardware interface and portal to games hosted servers run elsewhere. The console will be little more than a terminal and you won't own the game, you'll just buy playing time on the server.
  17. booman
    I agree. What was that website where you could sign up and play any game via streaming?
    Basically the same idea. You login, use high speed internet to stream video/mouse/keyboard to your PC
    No installations, no drivers, no hardware fuss, no OS fuss.

The cool thing with SteamOS is that its just another PC. Pretending to be a console of course, but can still be used as a standard PC.

I guess that is their business model....
    A console for those who want a console, a PC for those who want a PC