1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve's SteamOS announced

Discussion in 'News' started by danrok, Sep 24, 2013.

• by danrok, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM
  • danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Today, Valve has announced the first part of it's plan to bring Steam to the living room.

This part takes the form of a free Linux-based operating called SteamOS. No exact release date is available, but they say it will be ready to download "soon".

Quote from their web site:
    More here: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

steamos.jpg
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by danrok, Sep 24, 2013.

1. danrok
    We should see another two announcements on this, later this week.

Presumably, at least one of them will be about a SteamBOX, or Steam Box. The hardware.
  2. booman
    Ooh Ooh, very nice! Not going to buy it but very curious about the outcome!
    If Valves big titles run perfectly on it, then there will be some success!
    If developers port their existing games and new games to SteamOS, then even more success.
    I'm sure Valve will take a small hit because of all the gamers who already own those Source games....
    If it allows Source mods, then even more success
  3. danrok
    You won't have to buy it, it will be free to download.
  4. booman
    I meant the Box its-self, but yeah, I may try out the Steam Linux operating system.
  5. Daniel~
    So Steam will turn my PC into my game console...seems like a rather drastic step to get to pc gaming in Linux and steam. But of course I'll try it.":O}
  6. booman
    Probably not, but you could replace your PC with a SteamBox and just play Steam games.... which you mentioned elsewhere the selection sucks...

From my point of view, there's nothing compelling for me to try one. All of my games run in Linux with WinSteam and LinSteam. So why would I go elsewhere?

But other points of view, buying a SteamBox would allow them to play their already-purchased Steam games on their TV with no hassle. Just like a console. Download, play, enjoy!