1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to install Nvidia 341.92 driver in ubuntu?

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Aremis, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

I am now using an Nvidia 9800 GT instead of my R7 Radeon 250X Core Edition from XFX because the NV card performs a buttload better. It's not even funny how it compares. In a game like rocket league I can play at 80 FPS constantly at medium settings on the 9800 GT and only at 30 with the 250X.

The problem, however, is all of this magical unicorn rainbow fart fun is happening in Windows. I despise windows. So, I try to play even TF2 in linux and the only drivers I can get from the repo's are 340 or 304. With something as simple as TF2 the 9800 only shoots out 30 FPS at best and mostly 18 FPS. I am going to assume this is a driver difference and that I can fix this easily.

My question is: how do I install the 341 driver?

WHen I try to install the driver that I download from the site normally I set the system to nouveau, reboot, run the install, then when I reboot the system is frozen at a black screen with no way to get to TTY and I am left either chrooting into the system via live CD or completely reinstalling.

Any help would be amazing!!!
  2. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Maybe this can help you

Drivers since 341.xx series and upper leave lastest support for geforce 8 and 9, for this cards 340.xx series remain as lastest driver available (legacy support)

341.xx and upper drivers work for geforce fermi and upper (geforce 5xx and upper)

:)
  3. mrdeathjr28

In my case install using .run package and this method work, however works in mint 17

Daniel~ likes this.
  4. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Hi Mrdeathjr 28. I was wondering why you dont use "driver manager" found in Administration?

It downloads the latest drivers and install a selection of drivers for you to choose from. Best driver install setup I've ever seen!
    And Armis...why aren't you using Mint? LOL

Just kidding. whatever works for you is fine by me.":O}

Screenshot from 2016-02-06 00:25:20.png
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  5. mrdeathjr28

This method is more secure but dont work if you need lastest nvidia drivers (.run normally out more faster)

However in this ppa stay updated propietary drivers (normally appears 1 to 3 days after appears on nvidia drivers page)

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/ archive/ubuntu/ppa

6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I stick with anything stable in Mint because my guides have to retain the "vanilla" scenario for most new Linux gamers.
    If I get an update for a new Nvidia driver, I'll definitely download it and try it.
    But I won't manually install any drivers because most new gamers won't try it either.
    352 has been running great for me
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Thank you MR.D 28

I did notice that mint stays up to date with "Recommended" drivers. But I've found myself looking for newer and better drivers to many times to count.":O}
  8. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I will check driver manager from time-to-time, but the last time I updated my Nvidia drivers is from an update.
    So they will let you know when the next stable Nvidia driver is ready for Mint
  9. Aremis

Aremis Member

Because mint is god awful and still uses kernel 3.16?
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    'god awful'
    at what as compared to what?

But as I said whatever you like is fine by me.
    Aremis likes this.
  11. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Mint's not meant to be a bleeding-edge distro. It's for people who want stability and who don't need the latest incarnation of *everything*. Kernel 3.16 is from Q4, 2014. Not that old [1-1/2 years], but proven reliable, which is the reason it is being used.

I quite enjoy the challenge of maintaining a bleeding-edge product like Gentoo or Arch, and building the latest kernels, but not everyone does. Doesn't make a distro like Mint 'god-awful', though. It's just not for particular individuals, according to their preferences. It's perfect for many.
    Daerandin likes this.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'd go one step further!

Mint is for people who don't want or can't learn Linux but still want a desktop that does pretty much whatever they want it to.

Mint in my mind isn't really Linux...it's desktop Linux.
    It's r those who can do, taking thought of those of us who can not and making a way for us that's still open source in out look.

I sense another chance to thank the entire Linux community and the Mint community in particular...

So like thanks! ":O}