1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice Distro needed, no gaming needed.

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by cloasters, Sep 7, 2015.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Daniel, when did you stop using Windows?
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Wow, that's an extremely generous offer Daniel~! If Ravensdale is close enough to Seattle, I think I'd be happy to take you up on your very, very generous offer. The only hassle is that I'd INSIST on paying you for your efforts on my behalf. I had to stop driving about two years ago but still have a car. Paying my driver isn't negligible.

I don't know if this applies to you, but having things delivered via UPS and FedEx has become an adventure at my address. It's no longer a certainty that I'll get my packages. Companies let the delivery services LIE about their delivery days and even WHEN something is delivered. Shipping hasn't become cheaper but their "service" sure can suck.

I was planning to have Infotech in Federal Way build my new box from the list of components they offer, not a wide choice of parts but they are reasonable. And then pick it up in person---after they fire it up on front of me.
    An ASUS mainboard and an EVGA GeForce vidcard are included in my list.
  3. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I smell a building party/beerfest cooking.

Wish I wasn't so far away. I'd give my left sumtin' to meet all of you guys *in the flesh*. Beer on me.
  4. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    I don't have a clear memory of this as like most who know nothing, I've had to keep trying Linux until Linux caught up with my need, I kept being forced back into ms by my ignorance...MS is what I knew how to use.
    Gizmo probably has a clearer idea of the timing as it was with his help, REALLY a LOT of help that I ditched MS (NT, I'd been hanging on to it for years!!) and made the finale move to Fedora.

Yet it was to be several more years before I was turned on to Mint...I think it was Mint 11. (Thanks Cliff!!":O}

It wasn't until mint that I considered myself capable of running a Linux OS on my own without much or any help from others with keeping my OS in line.

Gizmo, ThunderRoad, Aedan, Cliff and several others carried me for YEARS helping me through one nervous break down after another. another!!
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    George this is really about you and what you feel comfortable with. There is an advantage to having someone in a position to "back up" the parts with repair and replacement...warranties.... They do warranty their work?
    I built my last box here in Ravensdale about 2 years ago I had no problems getting my parts.
    Ravensdale isn't very far.

George my feelings won't be hurt if you rather have a professional job with wires all hidden and everything tucked away...While I try to be neat, that's not what the boxes I build look like. They have wires showing!!! OMG!!!

Like everyone else here I just want to see you with a box your happy with running an OS I'm happy with ":O}

I'm strictly shove it in and see if it works...it has mostly worked for me...mostly.":O}
    The real trick lies in ordering parts that really fit well together...That why I suggested a group think on matching parts to your price range and dare I say it...your desire! LOL
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I recall that Daniel~ had a lot of help from the folks he cites with his adventures in Linux. I wish that I remembered more than I forgot about the mighty Mr Torvald's efforts on our behalf. I'll probably need an embarrassing amount of help.

It's been at least eight years since I built my last box. Things have changed enough in home computering for me to be too much in the dark about machine building nowadays. You are a great man for offering to build a machine for me. Not to mention extremely generous. Thank you! The people at Infotech built me a box some years ago and it was smooth sailing then. I had zero problems with that machine for at least three years.

I no longer trust FedEx and UPS to do exactly what they say they will do via email ""updates."" I'd rather let the folks at the local assembly shop gather all the components and put them together, it's just less of a headache that way. Thank you again for volunteering! If they mess something up they are much closer to cloasters for repair than your home in bear country is.
    Have you seen that bear from years ago again?
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

It might be much more fun to meet ThunderRd in his home environment. It's not as if it's probably a twenty four hour journey at the very least, plus train(?) time from Bangkok to the north of Thailand.
    The drastic change in climate wouldn't be noticeable and the foreign stomach flora and fauna would be a mere bagatelle.

Come to think of it, ThunderRd will have to handle the same changes if he decides to visit the old folks at home. And New York adds another five hours of fun time in ye uncomfortable cramped aluminum tubes. Arrgh, glad I needn't contemplate such an epic journey!

Kudos again on your change of address, ThunderRd. I have no idea how furriners are seen by the rapidly changing gummints of your new home. Gosh knows you've been there for a long time, it must be at least ok. We just exchange grinding wheels for ones with a finer grind here, imho. Why listen to me, what do I know?
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    I was thinking much the same thing TR.

I may seem strange to you but I spent a silly amount of time trying to imagine what your life might be like.
    Your the "exotic one" in our little family ":O}

Yet all of our group's lives are strange to me, even my own....maybe especially my own. I guess thats why I so enjoy hearing about everyone else's doings, The things you do make sense to me and I feel a comradeship and a belonging.

I've spent my life mostly alone with A God I have a ridiculously hard time believing in. And very little "He" does makes sense to me....troubling no? When reason and the heart cannot be reconciled.

Needless to say I've gone in pursuit of my answers. ten thousand times and have yet to come away any the wiser....
    or you guys would be the first to know! LOL

To be able to talk to you folks, to receive and on occasion give help...brings me a provisional peace..

Yet...I too long to see us all together in our monkey suits!
    and....and...I hear Thai weed is a hell of conversation starter!":O}
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hi George...

you will need considerably less help than I did. Mint 17.3 is considerably easier to use and to understand. It IS desktop Linux in all her glory. Mint was MADE for YOU and Me George. Folks who want a open source OS that simply does what you want it to do without any fussy conventions standing between your and installing your Nvidia card, Mint installs it for you!

Mint Linux is Linux that finally caught up with my needs. I didn't get anymore Linux savey, you can tell that by how many times Gizmo had to install my Nvidia card before Mint and after...
    Mint just got better and she consistently keeps getting better.

Gizmo would have Died for Fedora!!
    But from reading his posts Mint has slowly seduced him away, NOT Gizmo's fault!

let's face it Fedora proved to a fairless whoe...
    well less just say, less devoted to the users needs than she might have been...":O}

OH! My Bear! Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful day! Alas live trapped and remove to near by national forest where she no doubt raises cubs of her own now.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  11. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I *very* occasionally get to the west coast. One of my brothers is in San Diego.

It is my absolute intention, and I promise - the next time I do get there, there will be a visit to AZ to meet Brian and Cliff [ccperf], whom I have not heard from in quite a while, and a saunter up north to see George and Daniel.

On my honor.
  12. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Just like old times guys! Great to see you all here
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

It's heartwarming to read such wonderful posts from Dan~ and ThunderRd, not to mention booman "t!" Sorry, can't produce a decent cross. It's an extremely long haul from that most beautiful part of the world. I like the way the fog hangs in the mountains thereabouts, like classic Chinese paintings on silk, but better in real life. I certainly remember that amazing mountain peak climbed with the remarkable assistance of the singular sun drenched goodness from over there. No concern whatsoever any longer, even though it's been more than four decades I don't think I would like a visit to that part of the world. Too much guilt on my shoulders even though I most gratefully never needed to get up close or even far off with little bangs of my own.

I'm sure that ThunderRd has always had a most positive relation to the folks in his adopted home. Well done, good sir!
    I wonder if it's a shorter journey to New York by flying West than East? Don't have a globe to look, me so bad.
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    Well... Damn TR! Now we all have something to look forward to! ":O}
  15. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm thinking it was about mid '06. We'd had you playing about with dual boot setups for a while, and I think Fedora Core 6 was when you finally made the jump. Vista was looking to be a mess, the dirty tricks department at MS were more than you could stomach, and Linux was finally getting to a (mostly) usable state for everything other than gaming.
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

It was only ten years ago? Time sure flies!
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Sounds about right Gizmo. I remember putting two and two together and realizing that Linux plus PS3 equals freedom from MS. Yeah I did really miss computer gaming...But that's why we started GOL!":O}
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    Cliff! I so ashamed! I remember all Cliff did for me, it was Cliff that turned me on the Mint 11! I just could not remember ccperf's name. Unfortunately forgetting names seems to be happening a lot more than it use to.

Cliff! If your around at all we would love to hear from you! My wife still uses the motherboard and Chip I bought from you lo all those many years ago! Be well Cilff, be here! ":O}
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Daniel~ asked me to post a list of components that will (at least as of now) be in my new Linux only machine.
    Bearing in mind that the local assembler offers a short list of parts available: NEW INFO NEW INFO

Asus Z170 LGA 1151 mainboard. $136
    Intel Core i5 6500 Quad Core CPU $210
    Samsung 500 Gb 850 EVO SSD $170 (Plus an unused Crucial 250 Gb MX200 SSD I already have)

Kingston Hyper X 8Gb sticks, X2 of them-- $96 for 2 sticks.
    Thermaltake toughpower series TPD-0650 650W ATX Gold PSU $100

Asus VE278H Black 27" LCD Monitor $260 New Change
    EVGA GeForce 950 SL GTX vidcard $176
    LG 16x Blu-ray Burner SATA Model $70

I'm asking to use your brainpower everyone, it will be generous of all y'all to look at this list for good compatibility. Recommendations gladly accepted!
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hi. Like i said I'm a terrible shopper I usually go to New egg or Amazon to price out parts. Does your builder offer itemize parts and pricing or it is a package deal where you only have a few selections you can make( Usually what the builder can get a good deal on, good for you good for him.)

As for spec'ing out a system for compatibility, almost any here can do that better than I can":O}