1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red X in Synaptic tray icon, Error in checkAPT.py

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by cloasters, Mar 30, 2016.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Amazing that I can remember the "what color is that house?" line concerning the fair witness from "Stranger in a Strange Land." Read it 38 years ago. Maybe Circumin really aids memory?

Back to Mint 17.3. My Synaptic Tray icon now lists 22 recommended updates available. Assuming that all of those updates are needed by my machine, how do I DL them and install them?
    Daniel~, could you help me with this, please?
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    @ Gizmo

My bad!
    My only excuse is that I encountered both of them 20 years before you... You forget a lot in 20 years ":O}
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    Easy stuff!
    I can't take screen shots once I open System update. So I'll just tell you to click it open and hit the "Refresh" button, It will check the repositories for updates and list them for you. Just click "Install" and watch the freebies roll in and line up on your hard drive.
    You Will have questions! ":O}
    They can wait ...this will get you updated! ":O}
    I thought it better to take them as they occur to you so you don't get bogged down.
    So don't hesitate to ask. I';m always glad to mislead my fellows in kindly ignorance! ":O} Screenshot from 2016-04-13 01:25:09.png
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Daniel~, I'll get to it tomorrow, it's too late for good concentration. Thank you again!
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Daniel~! Everything was copacetic but I refused updates with "security ratings" below 3. Now I have 4 recommended updates instead of 23. The only squawk in "Information - Update Manager" reads:
    " (synaptic:3029):Gtk-CRITICAL **:gtk_widget_hide:assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget') failed " followed by: "
    04:13@17:41 ++ Return code:0
    04:13@17:41 ++ Install finished
    04:13@17:41 ++ Starting refresh
    04:13@1741 ++ Found 4 recommended software updates
    04:13@1741 ++ Refresh finished "

Looks like the "Gtk-CRITICAL **:gtk_widget_hide:assertion etc " update is very important.

Thanks again, Dan~.
  6. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    It's not. Ignore it. It's not an update, anyhow, it's just Gtk complaining about a cosmetic thing in the GUI that has been buggy for ages.

Like I said, it's nothing, ignore it.

Is there a compelling reason why you aren't installing the other 4 updates that are recommended?
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    I've found that just about anything in the first three categories to be reliable. I really don't know how risky 4 or 5 might be.
    I suppose it comes down to
    "How bad do you want or need the "uncertain" software?"
    I'm with T.R. if it's recommended I jump on it! ":O}
  8. ThunderRd

Home page:
    They're 'recommended' for a reason, by the developers of Mint.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Daniel~ and ThunderRd!
    So all of the "shouting" about "Gtk Critical" is really a bunch of hooey? Thank you for telling me!

Maybe I have the "security level" thing upside down? Is "5" the most secure and "1" the least? It would be "normal" for me to get it backwards. Sigh.
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Sorry to be a nudge, but it'd be great if the "security level" of updates in the Synaptic Tray could be clarified. A thousand thank you's!
  11. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  12. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Guys, we should start new threads for any new problems now, methinks. This thread has gone the distance.

Start threads for any new issues in 'Crashed' if it's a usability issue, and in 'Installing Linux' if it's, well, an install problem.

This isn't for our benefit [meaning those involved in the thread]; it's for the benefit of others who come to our site and want to search for solutions to similar issues. If we crowd too many issues into one thread, the capability for them to search for solutions is lost, or made more difficult.

For example, a member wants to find out about the security levels in Synaptic, and has to find the answer somewhat counter-intuitively in this thread, titled 'Red X in Synaptic tray icon, Error in checkAPT.py'

It's not too helpful.

13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you a million, ThunderRd! I had it backasswards, but of course. The embarrassment, it burns.
    Dunno which Topic this is more pertinent to be in, I beg your collective pardons!
  14. ThunderRd

Home page:
    George;

If you look at the 3rd image on that page I gave you, it describes the levels.

When they say 'dangerous', it doesn't mean your box is going to blow up or something, it just means it's probably unsupported software that comes from a 3rd party repo, and it's possibly buggy. It's a higher version number than what you have installed currently, so it's an 'update'. What they are actually saying is, use it at your own risk, because it's not stable enough to be in the Mint/Debian/Ubuntu repos yet. If something breaks, you get to keep the pieces.

For you, as a new user, probably best to stay wit the rule of thumb I gave you before.

Is there not a way in that window to filter out the 4s and 5s somehow, so they don't get displayed? Take a look in the options. If you can do that, then you will only see levels 1-3.
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much ThunderRd, you are in a class all by yourself. A very high class!
    "1 to 3 is fine by me." I swear I'll remember that.