1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons for Abandoning Windows

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by booman, Sep 25, 2018.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I read a post recently in Reddit about a gamer who decided to abandon Windows for Linux and I really liked his reasons. They seemed to be legitimate and I have added a few myself:
    1. Security Concerns (Viruses, Malware, Adware, Crypto-Malware)
    2. Privacy Concerns (Software Tracking, Browsing Tracking)
    3. EULA/UAC giving you less control of your system
    4. Aggressive Updates, Upgrades
    5. Ads (MS Paint, Minetest, Xbox)
    6. Cortana, Searching, Indexing
    7. Bloatware from Dell, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, HP
    8. Windows Background Processes
    9. Size of Windows: 20GB and growing
    gamesrule likes this.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    my reasons are easier to define.
    They don't like me. I don't like them. Better we should part.":O}
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

LOL!
    Argh, MS used to have a lot of nerve. They've moved into beyond any, any possible reason to use that miserable corp's "soft"ware.
  4. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

You're all far too worthy.

It's $140 for the basic version, $200 for "pro", and only goes up from there. At risk of being crude, for $140, I'd rather be the one doing the screwing...
  5. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Hi guys, been a while since my last login here.

I will have to say that in addition to the points listed by booman, for me it is also related to how configurable it is, or lack thereof. With Windows, I always felt like it was very limited in what I could or could not do. I switched to Linux way before the release of Windows 8, but we had to use it at work (Windows 10 now), and it is like you no longer have any control over your computer. The privacy issue is also one of the most important points for me.

That and the fact that I just don't like Windows.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    If your going to be the one doing the screwing i really recommend you go with the $200 one. ":O}
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Darn, there's no type font that is big enough to express my extreme disrespect for the diarrhea that comes from MS. And Bill gets unearned good press for "giving" money to a good cause. He gave nothing, a loan is not spelled g-i-f-t.

Oh yeah, he's cuckoo for more nuclear power too. Sorry, Billy but your head is up and locked. This is WWII vocabulary that means a very dark and stinky place.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    With time you will slowly heal and MS will fade from memory, like people you only think of when passing a poorly kept grave yard.
  9. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Every now and again, there's a burst of loud, and very rude, invective from my office. OK, I'm an engineer on an oil refinery construction site, so foul language isn't unexpected, but every now and again the choice and variety of the language would make a navvy blush.

Reason: not long ago, my company upgraded my work laptop. It's nice - Lenovo T480, small, lightweight, lots of memory, and with an 8th generation Core i5, should handle office applications without a noticeable slowdown. Sadly, with Windows 10 installed, it runs worse than my 9 year old semi-retired laptop running Mint 17.3. Some of the Windows' behaviour is irritating, some outright bizarre, and all of it annoying enough to break my concentration when I really should be working.

Thanks M$ - the extra hours I'll need to work to maintain the productivity I had with my old laptop will either pay for a new kitchen, or get me fired... I'm hoping for the former.
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I tells ya, Kaitain REALLY hits the spot with this post. You AM da Man Kaitain! And I hope a new kitchen is in the future for you!
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    Get a kitchen with indoor water! You wouldn't believe how convenient it is... until your pipes freeze.

Hi everyone! My pipes are frozen! ":O}

Getting a new heating hose in two days old one...well it froze. seems that this happens if they aren't plugged in.

around 4 inches of snow I'll bet K. has sand deeper than that!

I'll bet it is lot's harder to get rid of as well.

seeing temps in the 24 to 28F range. Power went out yesterday morning but back up by dark. Surprised everyone 3 days to a week in more par the course.

Generator is working out well. We built a shed for it, hook up 4 trailers and it gives us all refrigeration, lights and heat. One guy keeps shutting the gen down by trying to use a large Micro wave..

But we finally isolated the problem and are very satisfied with the new genny.

When it starts to snow everyone bursts into activity. Several guys and gals (all 50 or more years) rush about making sure we all have propane for heat and water running. and we check each others food stores, organize a run to Emenclaw , (25 miles away.)to stock up on food and pot.

We make, 6 to 8 of us, a monthly run to Buckley which is further away, (around 60 miles) but each week sells a different verity of pot for 50 bucks an once. Compared that to the 280 an once prior to legalization. or the 100 to 200 an once that it averages now. The thing is that Buckley sells near top grade for trash weed prices!!

As Buckley is pretty out of the way for most people so they use a loss leader to pull us in...and it Works! LOL

So while the rest of the country tries very hard to get the Ice cycle out of their ass Clearwater campgrounds remains rather pastoral as we lite our pipes and speak of the Indigenous that camped here long before the price of pot became so important to the retired..

and long before the Native became native when our Yu trees were yet young.

How I wish we could all live in campgrounds snugged into our trailers...

(It's a whole big bunch better than it sounds. as the river passes it "sough's and resounds.
    and leads us the distance into town. When the social security checks make it up the mountain
    and we all scrabble down.

This is a happy place. I've never lived where folks are happy before. Trust me it makes a difference! LOL
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You found the right place to live! I thought that Ravenswood (Ravens something) sounded nice, but good neighbors make all the difference.

Somehow I figured you must have a foot of snow, glad that you don't! The temp is mighty low here for a few days and I can't walk on ice at all. As if our weather didn't count as tropical compared to the Mid-West's recently. Unbelievably cold there, those folks went through hell recently. I'm thinking that Gizmo's heating bill went all the way to Mars recently. I hope he HAD heating!! Some unlucky folks thereabouts froze eternally. We are SO lucky to have the Pacific ocean nearby.

It's fantastic that you have your own power company running right. Well done!

Buckley was a wide spot in the road when I lived nearby more than forty years ago. I imagine that pot is beyond un- freakin' believably strong nowadays. That's what my stepbrother tells me. He recommends CBD oil for a variety of ailments, without THC of course. No THC? Bet that's "blasphemy" in your AO!

"AO," that's--- Area of Operation---from days of old that you intelligently missed out on.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    There is one, a very important one thing we left out.
    Sadly this would seem to indicate that not all our scars have healed and somewhere in the recesses of our minds we still fear we will be force back into MS use.

We should try to calm ourselves. There is in this world a powerful force that stands over those who have fought the good fight and freed themselves from M$ incompetence and tyranny.
    And best of all this noble power is coded to protect us from that very threat.

Let us pay homage to the many flavors of MINT! Let us celebrate 19.1 distros of service and protection!
    All Hail Tess the conquering one!

(Do be sure you scrape M$ off your shoes before you let Tess fit you up and set you straight!
    Mint is only for those who have learned to forget the pain we experienced at Bill's hands.

We must move passed and beyond our fears into the light of code without bad consequences.

Who knew that one day there would be computing without toilet paper!?
    cloasters likes this.
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    I don't really know how I got this lucky late in life.,,, I do pray a lot! LOL
    Seattle set a new snowfall record. But I didn't hear what the record was.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    Potency....hmmm.

Right now we (Me and Patti)have 12 verities. From Blue Dream to Dirty white girl.
    Now I smoke a LOT! And I do have some slight preferences.

But I haven't seen a lot of increase in potency. For me there are two kinds of pot.
    One gets you high and then you crash and nod off...Where's the fun it that!?

The other gets you high but lets you stay up all night.

Now nearly everyone says that indica will crash you and Sativa is for more active use.

But I have stayed up all night talking to indica as often as I have Sativa.

And I've had Sativa that will crash you in 5 hits.

It's really hard for me to say anything much has changed. It's cheaper and a decent quality is maintained.
    But Super pot...I haven't seen it. As a rule I pay 50 or 60 bucks a ounce...for those who don't know I use to pay around 280 to 320 an ounce.
    Since it went legal I have bought small amounts of expensive pot. Smells nice smokes smooth and gets you high, no doubt.

But here's the thing. Most, not all but most cheap pots can give you that as well.

I Should mention that the 50-60 dollar pot is a special. Each Week end the store in Buckley picks a loss leader that usually sells for 120 to 220 and ounce. Then we all stumble down the mountain and spend our Social Security on what pleases us most,

So except for pricing and an Amazing verity to choose from I haven't seen much if any change.
    Well the really cheap rag weed is no more to be seen.

If your brother would care to make a few recommendations...well I haven't seen all there is to see now have I? ":O}
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I wonder if the record in Seattle was set because of continuous below freezing temperatures? I'm only in one little part of the city, so I dunno about elsewhere, but three and only three inches fell here. I recall one night the day before Thanksgiving maybe twenty years ago, Capital Hill got almost a foot. Now that's some snow to talk about.
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I guess I'm still resentful of having used the horror-sheeite from MS for so long. It looks like Win10 isn't only a continuation of the DRECK that is Windows--it's a new Summit of in your face pure evil and nastiness! It's a mystery why so many people just fold before the sub, sub, sub basement of how can words alone express the monstrous in your face plain underhanded EVIL of Massa Gates and the horse he rode in on??

You're correct, it's past time to do a little jig of happiness and praise Mint and Linux for the saviors they ARE!!

GO Mint!
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I think I remark on the fact that were I foolish (I'm allergic to weed) enough to try it after more than twenty five years of abstaining that modern pot would be like a freight train of "strongness." Even though the green bud I used to grow in my basement was quite powerful, the THC levels in up to date weed far exceed that of hash from days of old. 25% and more?
    Get outta town!

The "boutique" pot of today is offered in a staggering array of different "flavors." Seems that certain strains are named differently from different retailers. How to keep track puzzles me.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    THC...hmmmm

using pot that has been tested "Seems" like a great way to pick which pot you want yes?

Here's what I have found. super high THC can be a bust and low THC can get you so stoned you wonder what they are talking about!!

Whatever ever the complex chemical mix they have yet to truly understand just what part of that chemistry
    makes for a great high. I'm not saying they are on the wrong path, I'm just say you cannot trust THC when buying pot. Most of the verities we buy are all over the place as far as THC goes.

High and low THC hardly means a thing. So whatever they are measuring it isn't the quality of the high.

Just one guys experience...But there's a big bunch of pot smokers that, now that I'm talking to people again, seem to share my views.

In my opinion, pot is no more for everyone than Booze. Naturally it is far better than booze for you physical health. But I have know other wise very stable folks who simply have terrible time when smoking pot.

It just does not hit us all in the same way. I think most are fine with it, but there is no denying that some very stable people who can't enjoy pot due to the instability it seems to engender within in them.

POT. I think everyone should try it. I think a few of us should really stay away.

Time.

We don't emotionally experience life in the same way all though our lives.
    Many who do use pot to their advantage have found that over time their are periods of time when it is best to stay away from it. Times of sever emotional distress can be eased by pot, but it can also be exacerbated by it.

I have come to experience it as something akin to an unreliable friend. Cool to hang out with... But in times of peril your better off going it alone.

Again I stress, one man's view and not all that extensive a view as I have largely lived alone and have a rather small sampling.

So Folks just do what you feel.":O}
  20. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

But this is true of just about any brain-bending chemical.

In times of extreme pressure, coffee is not your friend. In times of sadness, alcohol is not your friend. Nicotine in small quantities is nootropic (enhances memory) - in larger quantities... well, it's other great use is as weed killer. Other drugs, well, I have very limited experience: I think the last time I smoked anything that wasn't tobacco was 2003. Having such things in the blood would be career limiting.

Besides, I know myself and I know my weaknesses - anything more potent or more immediately addictive would probably take over my life. Best leave that forbidden fruit firmly on the tree...

Anyway. Friends don't let friends use Windows. Or systemd :p