1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to experience Windows 95 in Linux?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by booman, Feb 20, 2019.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    This is like taking your girl to a scary driven in movie just to get a kiss.'if your girl looks to be a cross between and orangutan and a poisonous snake...

My God...I'm STILL bitter! LOL
  3. booman

Home page:
    Ha ha!
    Guess you are!
    My first OS was Win 95, but I only used it to type reports in college. I wasn't even curious about how it worked... so sad
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    I started with Windows 1
    Did I ever learn any DOS of course not. So Basically I installed Norton utilizes ran defrages and deleted stuff to see if I really needed it.

Which let me do my favorite thing reinstall from 25 floppies.
    If you ask me nice I'll explan about floppies. ":O}
  5. booman

Home page:
    Floppies? Really?
    I had a friend who had to install games like Heretic, Doom and Duke Nukem via floppy.
    I'm not that young... :rolling:
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    How ironic that you should say that. I can tell you from experience
    That oh so soon you will be saying
    "I"m not that old!! LOL

One of my favorites:

"A maiden can no more understand a mother
    Than a mother can return to being a maiden."
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I guess these differences in age and understanding make life interesting, but how much interest seems to rub salt in the wounds?
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Age is perhaps the most enduring divide. We all, if we survive our calamities, pass out of youth and begin the journey to our predetermined and foreseen end.
    Yet we forsee little of ageing's meaning.

We are as young maidens. We see mothers giving birth, seldom guessing the The journey we must make.
    The onslaught of sexual maturity, he social perils that will assault and then refine us.

We burrow into our pillows at night trying to understand what lies beyond a mothers kiss
    incapable at every turn of seeing what comes next.

In youth we know almost nothing. As we age we begin pretending we are in firm possession of our unfolding truth. We pretend to be able to surmise from our past experience what is coming for us.

But we are only projecting the past upon our future. Tomorrow will be as yesterday.
    Even though we know tomorrow is never like yesterday. Repetition is a creature of our minds seeking to scrape the future from the unknown.

In age we pretend that we know now what we didn't know then. This come easily to age as we believe that age unlocks wisdom... it does not.

"Age is no more an assurance of wisdom
    than youth is a bar to wisdom.

We are wise or we are not and age has very little to do with it.

We age in two ways, one is expansive as we integrate our selves into life.

the the other is diminutive as we put aside childish things.

While aging is the unavoidable fate of those who live
    it is the unavoidable fate of the body.

Our understanding does not necessarily age with our brains.
    Our minds grow wise or they do not.

It is only the wisdom within us that is timeless.

Wisdom embraces the changes
    Gives tenderness to the heart and sees us
    in contentment that we should die.

As age brings us closer to death
    wisdom revels ever more of life.

at every age.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Shazam, that is well written, thank you for your contribution! Beginning to feel that I'm a waste of life, this does not feel good at all. My shortcomings fill encyclopedias my accomplishments perhaps a single page or less.

I'm possibly discounting the fruits of my struggles, I hope so.
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    "It is not ours to wonder why
    It is but ours to do or die"

Or

"All men live in darkness before mystery."

We know only our lives in nature,
    our lives among men.

Heavens intentions for us remains beyond our grasp.
    We may know our mission
    Grasp our proper course of action and seek to please heaven by correct observance.

"But none can believe the good God means them."

Why would God want one of us let alone billions of us remains shrouded
    our entire time on Earth.

We may know and recognize our proper mate, our best friend
    Our parents and our children; we may even see God in their faces.

But we do not, can not know what God intends for us or how he sees our efforts.

But the wise lend us their wisdom in a a strange and wonderful consolation:

"None are good save God."

There is a ungetoverable division between creator and created.

We may be lacking in goodness, but the creator is goodness.

The steady hand that shaped us shaped us to a purpose that is his alone.

Yet lent to us by incarnation. We know only that he "intended" us to be.

We may know as well how we are to live among men. We may know how to best further
    Nature that endlessly supports the life "He" created.

But did we properly as individuals or as a species serve the purpose to which we were born?

We cannot know. We can only strive, often in darkness to live in his light.

All else is "In Gods Hands."

Or so it seems to me as I resolve myself To cling as I may to his light within me. In hope that his light will lead me home.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'd rather be bludgeoned by "Accept Christ as your savior or die and spend eternity in hell." What if all I have seen of "Christ" is cruelty? What if one never heard of Christ?

Pretty certain that you are talking about an alleged "God" and not any Christ. It would be comforting to believe that there is a "God" but I have seen only great cruelty imparted by any alleged "God."
    In other words, this universe is here by accident, not by the will of any "being." Mankind does whatever they want and some have the gall to call anything they choose to be the will of a God.

Not trying to urinate in anyone's corn flakes. Perhaps I am urinating in my own corn flakes with my insistence that no god could POSSIBLY exist. I don't want to cut off my own nose to spite my face. But I face the fact that any alleged god is one unbelievably cruel monster.

I want to believe in a higher power yet this is asking me to give up all my experience. I imagine that you can refute all of my statements, I'm happy for you that you actually think that there is a god. But to myself I say "good luck with that."
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    How could George possibly exist? What good could he ever do ?

The God of creation is not cruel. All creatures come and go and enjoy life in it's inexhaustible abundance.
    Watch the ferocious feline nursing her offspring.

Man is cruel and blames god for his cruelty. Life is hard, man is cruel.

There is no cruelty in the predators heart. They kill to fill a need to live.

Even the cat playing with a mouse is learning to kill more effectively.

To be cruel we must in some way have awareness of the pain that is being caused. But one must also intend that pain. Who besides ourselves act in this way?

My own view is that blaming God for the actions of men is a cruel lie. The very worst that can be said of him is that he gave us choice, free will and allowed us to choose cruelty.

How would you turn animal narture into free will?
    Mistakes are always being make, by us. Yet we continue.

Is this cruelty or mercy?

Are you creator or created?

If your created be very careful what you say of the creator is rooted in the truth he gave you.

Because what ever you think of HIM. It is the lie not HIM that one should fear.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    George posted:
    "I'd rather be bludgeoned by "Accept Christ as your savior or die and spend eternity in hell." What if all I have seen of "Christ" is cruelty? What if one never heard of Christ?"

If you see Christ as cruelty you have not seen Christ, but Christians and bad ones, fakers at that.
    Would you blame Bernie if a nut job throws a bomb in his name?

So why blame one 2000 years past since his time on Earth for what nut jobs think and do?

George you haven't done your home work. READ the scriptures and know you are receiving the best understanding his followers can give you. That in them we have the created trying to understand the will of the creator.

They try to lead you to an experience. What that experience is or means cannot be grasped from the outside.
    One must enter the teachings to meet the teacher and gain eternity there by..

Don't speak ill of one whom you do not know. The way to peace is far from an impossible journey.
    The way to peace is standing at your door. You need only open it in good will to receive "a love that surpasses all understanding."

People think many religions many paths to god. But there is really only one religion and it i not a public specticule but a private meeting high upon the mountain.

If you want to know Christ leave the valley of tears and climb the mountain he gave you that you might reach for him from out of the wilderness of doubt.

You have the shape he gave you, now enter into your true form. The heavens await us.
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Very poetically put! It is easy to see evil, it's unmistakable, yet good is harder for me to focus upon. This makes life more difficult than it has to be.
    It's possible that an overabundant amount of evil has befallen me. Yet billions of others have much more evil to deal with in their lives. So what's my excuse?

Perhaps this is but a small excuse, yet it seems pretty big to me. The mid-west gets thunder and lightning storms that are incomprehensible to people that live on the west coast. Seriously, West coasters never see lightning and thunder that holds a candle to the real deal in the mid-West.

As a two and a half or three year old child these flash and ka-booms (louder than 122 mm rockets exploding near you) scared the crap out of me at night. I clearly recall running around around the house in panic with no destination. Going to my father or mother for comforting was out of the question. Thanks mom and dad, you were real winners.

Yeah, I'm an old fart now and can't blame my parents for anything. Yet as a toddler the facts of the case were clearly damning.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    Life is upon the lathe of God. Who he carves in to what form is entirely in the masters hand.

I watched my older sister undergo every struggle you can imagine trying to keep her Cystic Fibrosis riddled son in life.He was never supposed to make it out of the hospital, but 37 surgeries and nine moths later I met him in her home The main scar ran from his pubis bone to just below his neck..
    Robbie rarely took three consecutive breaths with out coughing and having to be returned to his respirator.
    His first 5 years were spent more in than out of hospital. He struggle to attend school. But I don't think he made it more than a day or two at a time to visit the childhood he should have had.

His battle to live was unbelievable to me! He was in constant pain, he was never far from suffocation.
    Watching my sister calm his struggles as they worked as a well oiled machine to regain his breathe. I saw his face go from blue to pink in her loving arms...a thousand times!!
    Now a old man long in his years, I think of him almost every day. I know of a certainty that no one ever loved me as Robbie loved me.

After nine years I was called to his bed side. He was composed and showed no trace off fear or apprehension.
    As I sat beside him holding his small fingers in my hand. I ask if there was anything he needed.

Having faced pain and constant danger of death all his life, never more than a step from deaths door.

His answer still haunts me.
    "Uncle Dan I just afraid you think I'm a coward for giving up."

I told him the truth. Your by far braver than anyone I ever met or even heard of.

My sister nodded and I left the room, A hour later we met in the parking lot and she held me as I cried.
    She herself had no tears left. She told she had cried them all in the first two years, after that it was her job to smile.

What did it all mean I have no idea. But it shaped me, it carved deeply into who I was and made a road to who I am. Since that time I have pray that upon my death Robbie's will be the first spirit I meet. I will know I'm OK, that I am in good hands.

No body ever said being upon the lathe of God would be easy.
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What a hard, difficult short life. Your sister sounds like a rock. My step brother has brittle bone disease, he's had more than forty serious surgeries. He's the most courageous person I'll ever meet. He puts all of my complaints in the small box where they belong. He's pushing 60, which is far more years than most people cursed with this malady see. I am such a wuss compared to him.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Perhaps this is why they are among us. to make light of our own difficulties. But no man can say. The who or why of it. But this life offers us endless opportunities to show kindness, to express gratitude.
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I do my best to be kind and generous. Yet still I can't forgive my parents for being monsters. They are long dead for goodness sake. So I must forgive them in order to forgive myself. This is amazingly hard to accomplish.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    Your parents...

This is from a most remarkable, totally mesmerizing film written directed and performed by people of the first nation.
    After all we did to them they are still reaching out trying to help us become human beings.,
    They still send us "Smoke Signals"

This is a revelation, an inspiration and a joyous offering to our troubled parents, who once were troubled children.

20. Daniel~

Home page:
    I found this on the movie (Smoke Signals)

Thomas and his Aunt who is raising him are seers, healers and great lovers of humanity.

Thomas can tell a story!