1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you been playing? Aug-Sep 2014

Discussion in 'Games' started by allenskd, Aug 7, 2014.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Alright, time to do a new fresh thread about gaming!

I'm sort of back now. I've been writing "angry posts" in my blog lately and talking about my experiences with Debian and some other stuff. I still need to write the guide to JACK Sound Server and maybe a guide on how to downgrade your PulseAudio, this requires me to do quite a few things first though. I also want to talk about Rockbox and I hope you folks check it out someday :)

Let's go to the topic:

Me? I've been playing Guild Wars 2 on a daily basis. I want to play Mount & Blade but the multiplayer component has been giving me a lot of problems.

I'm a fan of Mount and Blade. I don't consider myself an expert in it but it's really nice.

I've been playing a bit of Torchlight and Skyrim, not much to say here.

So yea, what have you been playing lately?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Still playing Magrunner, got to be close to finishing at this point.
    I have played a bit of Two Worlds II in PlayOnLinux and really loving it. Just testing for now, but later on I'll have to play the entire game.

The game I'm really focused on is Drakensang Online. I got my wife and 6yr old daughter into it.
    We play several times a week and love it!
    The three of us in a group really increases the experience and strategy.
    Not to mention we haven't spend a penny on it!
    Great game! Installs fast, loads fast and is intense at times. Lots of bosses and random encounters with other players online.
    We help them, they help us...

Otherwise, I'm still testing Age of Wushu. Plays really well, but I can't seem to figure out how to do quests.
    I run around randomly taking screenshots of the beautiful architecture and landscapes, but I want to follow a storyline.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Mount & Blade Warband for me. I currently have two villages and one castle, and a decent enough army. I am a vassal of Vaegirs.

Then there was Super Hexagon, I finally completed all six levels. Completing a level just means surviving for 60 seconds. That last level was crazy, but I finally made it. It's funny how impossibly long 60 seconds can seem in a game like this. I have 20 hours of game time for this game, and it does not feel like I've played it that much.

Minecraft is something I've gotten back into, but just a little. I have a cousin who loves this game, most kids seem to love it. Earlier this summer my cousin and his father were visiting my city and he spent a lot of time playing Minecraft here. I actually purchased a Minecraft Realms subscription just so we have a server we can play on which is always online.

I have also been playing Talisman Digital Edition with a friend online. It is really just a digital edition of a board game.
  4. booman

Home page:
    Wow, quite a contrast....
    M&B is a management/action game
    Super Hex is a eye/hand coordination arcade game
    Minecraft is a sandbox game
    Talisman is an adventure card game.

You play them all! What type of game to you hate?
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    The strange thing is I have not been playing my two favorite genres recently. I have wanted to play Icewind Dale 2 again, so I might start that sometime soon. rpg is my favorite genre and most games I love are rpg's. Strategy games is also a very big favorite of mine. Primarily real time strategy, but I also enjoy some turn based games as well.

I play most genres. But I generally dislike multiplayer, especially mmorpg. I pretty much never test multiplayer in games, except for co-op with friends.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Thats funny... no wonder you have not done any guides for MMO's
    But it works out perfectly, because I am doing those. The only MMO's I won't do are the "paid for" MMO's
    There are plenty of free ones.

The only games I really dislike are Strategy and Platformers.
    I've tried stratety several times and always loose. They are way too slow. I want to get right into the story and the action, not wait and build up my troops/fortress.
    Platformers are just too repetitive and I played way too many when I was young.

But otherwise I like these types of games:
    • Action (Assassin's Creed, Just Cause)
    • Adventure Point-n-Click (Monkey Island)
    • Hidden Treasure (Drawn)
    • FPS (All of them)
    • RPG Action (Torchlight)
    • Racing (Legends, Off Road)
    • Sandbox Sim (Rollercoaster Tycoon)
    • Alternative Sport (Tony Hawk, MX vs ATV)
  7. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I haven't played much these past months, because I work from 10-18 on weekdays and I balance gaming with anime/TV series as well, and I work on my Linux fu skills.

Games that I do play a bit now:

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
    Elder Scrolls Online
    The Witcher 2
  8. booman

Home page:
    Elder Scrolls Online? In Linux?
  9. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Yep. you can make TESO use OpenGL engine they have. It's also gold status on WineHQ.
  10. booman

Home page:
    That is really good news. Do they still force you to use Steam?
  11. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

ESO never forced you to use steam.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Awesome! I will have to save up, or wait for a sale
    I really want to do a guide for Elder Scrolls Online
  13. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I was thinking to write a guide for ESO, but if you intend to do it I can just give you my thoughts and suggestions. However, the script in POL for ESO is pretty straightforward. With newer versions of wine you don't have the certificate problem any more.

The only problems I had was related to a package called lib32-libpulse, where package 5.0-1 causes problems, so I used a package called downgrade to go back to the 4.0-6 package, and then I could start ESO. Another problem I ran into was that the texture was locked to medium in game, but I bypassed this by editing the usersettings file.
  14. booman

Home page:
    It might be a while before I do a guide on Elder Scrolls Online. I just don't have the money right now.
    If you ever see a sale or special, let me know.
    I would love to play it and make a step by step guide one day.

Sounds like it doesn't have any serious problems.... which is good.
    So pulseaudio 5.0 has some problems with the game in Wine?
    No surprise... Wine is always causing audio problems cause it doesn't support pulseaudio and yet all distros DO!
  15. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Yeah, with the lib32-libpulse 5.0-1 package the game wouldn't start at all after clicking the play button on the launcher.

The error message that I got was this:

Code:
    ALSA lib dlmisc.c:252:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    I searched the internet and found a suggestion to downgrade the lib32-libpulse package to get another game to run, but I don't remember which game that was.
  16. Daerandin

Home page:
    That's an issue that appeared in Arch Linux as well when PulseAudio was updated to 5.0. 64-bit systems crashed with 32-bit PlayOnLinux wine. The Arch built 32-bit wine worked well, just the PlayOnLinux wine versions. However, 64-bit PlayOnLinux wine versions work well so I've been using those.

You can also get it working if you ensure that PoL wine use Alsa instead of PA. I actually have a .asoundrc.bak file in my home directory. Those PoL virtual drives that require 32-bit because of dotnet, I've just changed the PoL shortcut to rename the file to just .asoundrc before launching PoL wine, and then rename it back afterwards so I'm back to using PA.

But I seem to recall you mentioning that you only use Alsa in some post somewhere so I am a little lost here. The issue should not happen when just Alsa is used.

I suppose the easiest way yo check is to check your /etc/asound.conf

or just check if pulseaudio is running: ps aux | grep pulse
  17. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I returned to Pulseaudio because I wanted to use Cinnamon again. Maybe I will just disable pulse in the startup or something.
  18. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I played a bit of Expeditions: Conquistador, an indie strategy game.

I managed to run it on WINE flawlessly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using WINE 1.7.20, you gotta override DNSAPI.dll to builtin for the game to run. That's all you need.
  19. Daerandin

Home page:
    Since I saw the news of the upcoming new Space Hulk: Ascension game, I've gotten back into Space Hulk with a vengeance, and that is pretty much all I have played lately. I really love how it plays exactly like the board game, all the same rules.

spacehulk_01.png
    spacehulk_02.png

The action camera is a nice little feature in this game. It serves no actual purpose, except to add to the atmosphere. In the upper right corner, you can see the view from the shoulder mounted camera on the currently selected space marine.
  20. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I think I'm gonna buy Sanctum 2... it seems up my alley. There are a few bugs but so far it's really fun and a good replacement for Orc Must Die if the developer ever decides to you know, port the game to linux. :(