1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Origins in Proton

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Sep 2, 2021.

• by booman, Sep 2, 2021 at 3:56 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    My previous post on Assassin's Creed Origins regarded Discovery mode where you can explore and learn about Egypt, Greece and the Roman Empire. This is a non-violent way to play, explore, climb and learn.

Assassin's Creed Origins is much more than just exploring, there are complex stories of murder, traitors, foul-play and much more. Traverse the wide variety of terrain in the middle east as you fight soldiers, hide in the shadows, slay crocodiles, fight in an arena, stealth execute officers or escape by the skin-on-your-teeth.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/582160/Assassins_Creed_Origins/

I've spent over 90 hours revealing the entire map of the middle east, completing main quests and side quests... and there is still much more to do and explore. There is easily over 400+ hours of gameplay here and it pays off!
    Initially Origins ran pretty well in Proton 5.0-10 with my GeForce GTX 1060... but later on I started getting some serious stuttering. Specially if you go to the map and back to the game. I found that going to the map several times and closing can clear up the stutter, so its clearly something to do with the GUI overlay and maybe esync.

I disabled esync with this launch option: PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1
    This made a huge difference in performance and I was able to crank all the settings to high. There is still some stuttering in menu's and underwater, but other than that it runs amazingly!

Specs:
    Mint 20.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 470
    Proton Experimental 6.3

aco-0.jpg aco-38.jpg aco-35.jpg aco-33.jpg aco-27.jpg aco-26.jpg aco-25.jpg aco-22.jpg aco-19.jpg aco-17.jpg aco-4.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Sep 2, 2021.