1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Island in Linux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Mar 1, 2024.

• by booman, Mar 1, 2024 at 1:34 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Survive a zombie apocalypse on the island of Banoi! This band of friends hack and loot their way across a massive resort island crafting weapons, tossing molotov's and slaying varying types of minions. Dead Island was released in 2011 and still looks as beautiful and detailed as many AAA games released today! I still can't believe the amount of detail in every object, plant, weapon and animation!

Dead Island in 2024 still has a native Linux port available in Steam and runs beautifully even in co-op!
    One simple Launch Option:
    Code:
    __GL_IGNORE_GLSL_EXT_REQS=1 %command%
    This allows the game to use Vulkan instead of OpenGL and it shows! There are a few minior bugs but nothing game breaking! Its crazy to think developers were considering Linux back in 2011 when so many just rely on Proton these days.

Mint 21.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1650
    Nvidia 535

deadisland-0.jpg deadisland-1.jpg deadisland-2.jpg deadisland-4.jpg deadisland-6.jpg deadisland-8.jpg deadisland-9.jpg deadisland-10.jpg deadisland-11.jpg deadisland-12.jpg deadisland-14.jpg deadisland-16.jpg deadisland-18.jpg deadisland-21.jpg deadisland-23.jpg deadisland-25.jpg deadisland-28.jpg deadisland-49.jpg deadisland-48.jpg deadisland-43.jpg deadisland-41.jpg deadisland-40.jpg deadisland-38.jpg deadisland-35.jpg deadisland-31.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Mar 1, 2024.

1. booman
    Finished the entire game with my daughter in Co-op!
    So much easier with someone else slaying zombies!
    Now we are playing Dying Light for the first time...
  2. Daerandin
    I never played Dead Island, but Dying Light was made by the same developer, and I absolutely love Dying Light.
  3. booman
    I'm gonna find out... just barely started and loving it already!
    did you know there is a Dying Light 2 on Epic?
  4. Daerandin
    I already bought DL2 on Steam, haven't tried it yet as I've been busy with other games.
  5. booman
    Shoot, I didn't think of looking on Steam.
    So did you play Dying Light with the native version or Proton?

I was able to play just fine with the native version using the launch option from Dead Island, but when my daughter joined my game it kept crashing for her. Now we are stuck playing the proton version, but it still runs GREAT!
  6. Daerandin
    The native version worked fine when I had nvidia gpu, but that is many years ago. Ever since I got amd gpu, the in-game shadows render poorly. For some reason I also have problem running the game with Proton, so I just set up a regular wineprefix with normal Wine, installed dxvk, and can run the game perfectly like that. All graphical settings are just as they should, and it runs smoothly.
  7. booman
    Not cool, but I'm not surprised you figured another way around it. I have a feeling the developers don't want to re-compile their game just for another new driver that breaks things.

If it wasn't for the co-op crashing, I would just stick with the native version