1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout 76 in Proton

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jun 14, 2021.

• by booman, Jun 14, 2021 at 1:53 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Fallout 76 is a new chapter exploring the wastes of Appalachia. But this time you are not alone... the world is full of online players in this post apocalyptic MMORPG. Survive in a world very similar to Fallout 4 and experience random player encounters as you slay new minions in new epic environments ranging from New York to Alabama and Georgia. Level up your character and equip new skills for you and your team.

I was able to play Fallout 76 during a free weekend on Steam. After researching on ProtonDB.com it was recommended to use Glorious Egg Rolls version of Proton. Performance wasn't great at first. I had to crank down the display settings just to get a barely playable frame rate. But a gamer mentioned changing a setting in a configuration file. This made a significant difference in performance. Now I could play, but some of the display settings had to stay on medium... like shadows.

There were a few streaming/loading glitches while playing. Sometimes the vegetation would take a while to load or the shadows would display patterns. In the Video several assets didn't load at first and appeared invisible. Also dense areas like towns would definitely have stuttering frame rates because of all the objects.

Go here in Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/1151340/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/My Games/Fallout 76
    Open Fallout76Prefs.ini
    Change iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=0
    Save the file

Specs:
    Mint 20.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 460
    ProtonGE 6.10

fallout-0.jpg fallout-41.jpg fallout-1.jpg fallout-40.jpg fallout-2.jpg fallout-39.jpg fallout-3.jpg fallout-4.jpg fallout-6.jpg fallout-7.jpg fallout-10.jpg fallout-38.jpg fallout-37.jpg fallout-33.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jun 14, 2021.