1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of Games I have working on Playonlinux and Wine Version used

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Bladeforce, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Bladeforce

Bladeforce New Member

I would be happy to help wherever i can. It's just time as well thats the problem.
    The amount of space used by all those games actually isnt alot. Each in their own wineprefix comes to about 600GB (at the moment) although I have plenty to go through yet as you can see.

As i test each game i convert my discs to iso so i am not routing through for cd's all the time and at a guess my images of my games will probably come to a couple of terabytes. (It's a lot easier to mount a cd through cdemu rather than put a disc in the tray all the time)

I do try and use nocd cracks for games too as that negates the need for the cd's.

Tips wise, well I have found a few that have helped me over the months.
    I am using Ubuntu 13.10 and it does have quirks when first installing some games.

1. Enabling Legacy Fullscreen support in compiz settings manager under workarounds
    2. Setting a custom shortcut under the keyboard system settings to "xkill". I have "CTRL-ALT-Keypad Enter" assigned to the command xkill so if a game seems to have froze in full screen i can hit this combination and an "x" appears on the screen and just click the frozen screen and it automatically kills it (albeit sometimes at the expense of resetting the screen back to the default resolution"
    3.. I also use cairo dock and have a shortcut to the command "xrandr -s 1280x1024", my default resolution so i can just click it and it goes back to normal if a game goes craps up or a game exits incorrectly back to the default resolution
    4..A very small amount of games (or the ones i have tested) mess with the gamma of screen on exit too so I have another shortcut added to cairo dock with the command "xgamma -gamma 1.0" that resets that
    5..To force a 16 bit display, make sure you have xinit installed (I think it is installed by default in Ubuntu) and fire up the command "xinit /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "VF2" %F -- :1 -ac -depth 16" obviously replacing "/usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "VF2" %F" part of that command with whatever shortcut you are trying to run (I think this particular command is only really responsible for older games that demanded a 16 bit display to run, bad programming? who knows) This has worked for quite a few games like Virtua Fighter 2, Moto Racer as quick examples off the top of my head

By the way I play a lot of games on and off but do not play them all the time! :) I am mainly leaving them there for the chance of me finding time in the future to code a menu launcher like launchpad.

Over the last year or so I have created over 2000 custom icons for all the systems and games I have bought and run from the command line. As an example an Atari 800 computer game would have a custom shortcut with the exe line as

"atari800 -fullscreen -bilinear-filter -artif 0 -vsync -pal -fit-screen height -image-aspect none "/media/sdc1/Roms/Atari800/Action Biker (1985)(Mastertronic)(US).atr"

I've done that for a couple of thousand games so far
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I can only image the hundreds of hours you have spent troubleshooting and trial-n-error with Linux to have such a successful gaming environment like yours.
    I hardly mess with command line and never heard of cairo, xkill, or xinit.
    Amazing! I still have a lot to learn!

How did you get all of these games to run in Linux?
    What got you interested in Linux in the first place?

I have a 6 computer LAN setup for gaming and... of course, still use Windows. I'm hoping one day to migrate all of them and the games to Linux. I could learn a lot from your knowledge of Linux and tweaking games to run in Linux.
    So far my main concern is networking because I have tested a few games and Wine games don't seem to talk to Windows games as easily as I hoped.
    Seems like you may have some tricks up your sleeve and I'll be asking some questions in the future. For now I'm just showing the world how easy it is to use PlayOnLinux to get your games running. Ease of use is what the world is about, unless you run Windows 8... Ha! So making Linux gaming as easy as possible will attract more Windows gamers to Linux.