1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manjaro Install from USB Stick

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Daerandin, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Kladiator, I got a hold of Chessmaster 10th edition and it works here without issue, except it crashes upon exit. However I have no other problems running it here on 64-bit Arch Linux. I use a virtual desktop, but no other settings apart from default.

I could always provide you a list of all lib32 packages I have installed if you would like to try.

Edit: I noticed there is an online option, I did not try that.
  2. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Thank you, there is no harm in trying.
    I will also compare your list with the lib32 packages installed on my Ubuntu 64bit partition.
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if I find out that the reason of this game not running on Manjaro 64bit is completely unrelated to the 32bit libraries.
  3. Daerandin

Home page:
    If you want all lib32 packages printed nicely into a text file, open a terminal and run:

pacman -Q | grep lib32 > packages.txt

Then you will have a text file in your home folder which contains all lib32 packages you have installed.

Edit: I simply uploaded the text file instead of having the whole list posted, makes it easier to read.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    NobodyDoug likes this.
  4. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Fantastic, I will check everything at around 7:00 PM (CET), after going back home from work and the usual evening walk with my dog (can't disappoint a German Shepherd on his most important event of the day:)).
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I haven't actually downloaded Manjaro yet. I still havn't decided which computer to install it on.
    If I'm going to play games, then I need to install it on a machine with a decent video card.

Funny, I started with OpenSuse and then went to Fedora as well.
  6. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Mission accomplished!

I installed the 35 (!) libraries not present on my system and now Chessmaster 10th edition works on Manjaro 64 too.
    So another big thank you to Daerandin for his invaluable help.

Screenshot from 2014-01-21 19:45:43.png
  7. booman

Home page:
    Awesome! Very nice job..
    Thanks Daerandin
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    I am glad it worked. It would have been nice to know what was missing. Actually, almost all of those libraries I listed for you were actually dependencies for other packages. So assuming you spend enough time using it and installing all the stuff you normally use, the required packages would most likely have been installed.

At least it is obvious that Manjaro follows in the Arch philosophy of not having libs installed unless they are actually needed.
  9. booman

Home page:
    I have mixed feelings about the 32-bit libraries because I don't want to search for libraries I need. I would rather have them all installed and ready to go, but at the same time, I know it bloats an operating system.
    Hence why Windows is 24 Gigs after updating. Totally rediculous
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    I think windows is bloated with a lot more than just extra libraries. Your post made me want to check how much space I have used on my system. I have quite a lot installed, but my actual system is just 8gb.

Looking for missing packages is something you would have to be prepared to do sometimes if using Manjaro or most Arch based distros. The general idea is to provide a minimal system with only the most basic tools installed. Manjaro has a lot more than Arch of course, I think Arch is just a couple of gigs after a fresh install if I remember correctly.
  11. booman

Home page:
    For veteran users this is definitely important, but beginners would need to have libraries provided for them in advance. Until the become more comfortable at tweaking their system and doing some trial-n-error.
    I don't want to over-burden them any more than I already have.
    Some of my guides are way too long and include libraries, registry tweaks, dotnet installs, PlayOnLinux configurations and Wine Configurations.
    I can't imagine adding 32-bit libraries to the list...
    With Ubuntu and Mint its pretty simple: Download them all at one time
  12. NobodyDoug

NobodyDoug New Member

I instaled the Manjaro in this sunday and if not for this topic I wound not know which lib32 packages I need to install. Certainly this will avoid a lot of problem. Thanks Daerandin.
  13. NobodyDoug

NobodyDoug New Member

PS: Sorry my english, I can't find no botton to edit and this "wound" is troubling me... and sorry this double post
  14. booman

Home page:
    Daerandin is the Arch expert here! He can show you his magic!
  15. Daerandin

Home page:
    Even though Manjaro is originally based off Arch, there are still significant differences that means I will not be able to offer help with everything. Still, I'm always happy to give it a try.

It is doubtful you would need ALL those packages. Almost all lib32 packages on my system were installed as dependencies for other packages. So if you install a lot of software you will most likely end up with all required lib32 packages already installed.
  16. NobodyDoug

NobodyDoug New Member

I understand, anyway considering that I am a compulsive downloader, all package is welcome. But maybe I have exaggerated a bit, until now the Manjaro have automatically downloaded all necessary package, but who know?
  17. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

I downloaded and took a look at Manjaro Cinnamon. Looks real good. I liked it as it looks familiar because I use Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon.
    I would need to learn a lot more about it to change from Mint.
  18. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

Hey there!

I'm new to this page but I was lurking this forum quite a while and I also switched from arch to Manjaro Xfce. It is a really nice distro. Everything is working ootb on my notebook. I can fully recommend this distro, because of its simplicity and its rolling releases!

Btw, this community with all the guides and members is awesome! :)
  19. booman

Home page:
    Awesome! Thanks for posting!
    All I hear about Manjaro is good! So it seems to be a competitor to Ubuntu and Mint!
  20. Daerandin

Home page:
    Welcome!

Even though it is extremely unlikely I will ever switch Arch for another distro, I always enjoy testing other distros through vbox, and after my repartitioning this weekend, I will running a lot better tests by dual booting.

@booman, not sure I'd consider at a competitor. I think the Manjaro devs liked the rolling release system of Arch, but decided to trade bleeding edge software with slightly older versions known to work. Also, very much unlike Arch, Manjaro is set up to work out of the box.