1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 Motherboard won't save date & time

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by rolandttg, Feb 15, 2014.

1. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

I have an AMD 5800K quad on a MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 motherboard. It won't save date and time. Sometimes it will sometimes it won't. I save and reboot and go back into the bios the right date and time is displayed. I reboot the correct date is displayed but the time is wrong. Sometimes the time is right but the date is wrong.
    Nearly all the time, the time and date is correct in Linux Mint 16. Though maybe the time is obtained from the network?
    I updated the bios to version 1.5 up from 1.4. Still same problem. The battery seems good as all other changes remain except the date and time problem.
    I have tired cmos reset and removed and replaced the same battery.
    I plan on a new battery anyway.
    Any ideas?
  2. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

Darn. It looks like the systems want to save in UTC time. I think a linux UEFI coordinated kind of thing. It took me forever to note that as the wrong times in bios were consistant.
    I think I am right and now I feel silly. Ha!:)
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Linux does natively handle system time in UTC, so if that was the problem then you really have not problem, haha. But if you are dual booting with Windows then it is generally easier to make Linux treat system time as local time instead of trying to make windows work differently.
    rolandttg likes this.
  4. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

I feel silly. Heck I used shortwave radios and times are UTC. I kick myself for not seeing the connection. I was on a semi serious hunt for another board.
    I got a short explanation from my local PC Guru. It is that way because Windows is broken Linux is not. In a dual boot it is easier to break Linux than to fix Windows. Maybe not accurate but the explanation makes it easy to remember.