1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlast

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daerandin, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I love horror games. The Penumbra and Amnesia games are of course games I have played and loved (hated) playing. But it is obviously quite some time since I last played a good horror game.

So I decided to give Outlast a try. I heard it is supposed to be quite scary. Thinking I should be able to handle anything after Amnesia I started it up feeling pretty confident.

I am all alone in my apartment, time is almost 3 am. I don't have any lights on because we have 24 hour sunshine this time of year. But with the curtains only limited light gets in.

So you enter this asylum at the beginning of the game, everything is pretty run down. You also have a camcorder with night vision, quite an interesting game mechanic. However, for some reason holding that camcorder up make me feel more vulnerable, but you need it up if you want to use night vision.

The game started in a way similar to a lot of horror games, creepy sounds and the like and also seeing movement and shadows. Then as I am about to open a door, something moves almost right in my face, I don't see what it is I just pause the game and throw off my headphones and I'm not writing this. Game is still running, paused, but I am hiding it behind this nice browser so I have some time to calm my nerves.

So far it seem pretty good.

Oh and I am playing the GOG version, on wine 1.7.21 and the dxfullsetup library. Everything seem to be working well. I did have to disable GLSLsupport since I as having some odd graphical issues otherwise.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have played a bit of Penumbra Overture and a tiny bit of Amnesia. I have to admit its way over-due and I need to play the entire games! I love horror games and even parts of Half-Life 2 (EP1) where you are stuck with a flashlight and some flares! Awesome stuff!

I sense a guide coming! I'll have to look it up...

By the way, I finally saw Sean of the Dead last week!
    I LOVED IT! I have never laughed so much in a long time because of a movie!
    Great cinematography, great atmosphere and funny dialog. Too many "f" words of course, but I can tolerate it once a year or so
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Penumbra and Amnesia are made by the same developer. In many ways I preferred Penumbra because of the very intriguing storyline and atmosphere. Just a heads up regarding Penumbra. Overture (first game) and Black Plague (second game) are brilliant and horrifying. Requiem is very different and I never could understand what it was about. It is just puzzle solving and not really scary at all. The story it also weird.

Amnesia is just awesome, and in my opinion scarier than Penumbra. The second Amnesia game, A Machine for Pigs was made by a different developer, but I found it to be almost same quality as the original game so I really liked that too.

And I was pretty much thinking of doing a guide for Outlast. It is working great, I get a crash every time I exit the game, but it does not seem to affect anything. Everything is working great. Actually, my Gothic 3 guide is way overdue. I wanted to do that, so I'll see if I can get two guides done this weekend.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    yeah, I only have Overture and Amnesia, so I plan on playing both of them at some point. Just so many other games in the way.
    I almost picked up Outlast a few times during the spring and summer sales on GOG, but it looked pretty disgusting and gorie. So I passed...
    But now that you have given me more detail, I think I'll add it to my wishlist.
    Thanks!

Yeah, do a guide!

I may be doing the System Shock 2 guide soon because Swordsmans is failing, Tower of Guns is failing and Confrontation has some graphical bugs.