1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems With Ryzom Crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by blackcats, Oct 28, 2016.

1. blackcats

blackcats New Member

I am re-posting my original question again,as the suggestion I have been given does not work for me.

NOTE: I have had a stroke three years ago, and have some brain-damage, thus I am a perpetual newbie.

I have had a problem with a particular game for about fifteen months. The game is the Linux version of Ryzom. It is an MMORPG that has been around for about 10 years and it is based out of, I think, France.

Now, I have two monitors, a proprietary NVIDIA driver, and the video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650. It runs on an 8-core processor (AMD FX 8350) and it is currently running under Debian Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64, 12GB of memory, and 5GB of swap space. I am currently running under 340.65-2 under nvidia-driver package and nvidia-kernel-dkms.

Here is the problem. It seems to me that my video driver crashes while playing, it reverts to running on a single monitor, and then I restart the game and *sometimes* after that, it runs fine, and sometimes the video driver crashes again, repeatedly.

In the past, I have used EVERY versions of the video driver, to no avail. I have set the driver to use a single monitor, to no avail. I have used kernel versions 3.14-2-amd64 and 3.2.0-4, to no avail.

Also, before I play that particular game, I need to poweroff my computer and use xfce or fluxbox as my windows manager, as I have compositing on KDE, and games do not work well with KDE+compositing.

Like I have said, I think it a problem with my video driver, but could also be a problem with my kernel. However, I do not think anyone else in the Ryzom community has this problem that I have.

Also, this only occurs when running Ryzom, I have no problem running Steam games, warzone2100, 0AD, Sauerbraten, Nexuiz, or any other, more graphic inyensive, games.

If you need some more questions to help me diagnose this problem, please ask.

I have absolutely no ideas, although it could possibly be UEFI that could be the problem.

Please help me, because these incessant crashes are driving me crazy, and I WILL play this game, so me not playing this game is not an option for me.

Thank you for anyone that can help me to diagnose this problem.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thank you for posting blackcats. I'm sure one of us here at GamersOnLinux can offer some solutions or at least help you trial-n-error.

I have a dual-monitor setup for Linux Mint 17.3, but I don't use it. So I could possibly mess around with Ryzom and my monitors to see if I have similar issues with crashing.

I have several PC's with different video cards, so I should be able to test Ryzom with all of them as well. I noticed it is free-to-play, so I'll have to sign up and download it.

I noticed you have tried a few steps to fix it with out any success. This might be a driver issue, but I rarely experience problems with my GeForce cards and drivers. It also might be a combination of using compositing and your windows managers. I'm not so experienced with those.

Can you confirm that you have update to newer stable drivers like: 364 or newer?

Have you tried re-installing Linux from scratch (maybe on a spare hard drive)? Just in case there is some residual files or data causing some conflicts...

Do you have any crashing issues with other games in Linux?
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    This does not seem like a problem with the graphics card since you mention that the problem only occurs with one game. If you were having a general problem with your graphics card then you would see issues with more games.

Also, UEFI got nothing to do with this. UEFI is simply a method of booting and once the computer has booted then it makes no difference.

One little question, has this game always crashed like this or was it something that recently started happening? I am suspecting, since only one game is so problematic, that it could simply be that the Linux version is buggy. Based on the facts that you only have problems with this, I would suggest to take it up on the official forums for the game as there will be other people familiar running this particular game on Linux.

I have not experience with this particular game, but my thoughts for troubleshooting this:

You mention that the problem is that it reverts to running on a single monitor. I am not perfectly sure what you mean by that, but I can only assume that you are on a multi-monitor setup, and the game will something switch to only display on one monitor. This does not sound like anything is crashing. So in order to clarify, is the game running well after reverting to a single monitor? What happens if you only use a single monitor to begin with?

When troubleshooting a problem, it is always preferable to simplify the circumstances as much as possible to rule out other things interfering. I strongly suggest that you only use a single monitor for the time being to see if the game runs well under those circumstances.

Additionally, are these crashes happening randomly or only when doing something specific in the game?
    booman likes this.