1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stellar Overload Kickstarter

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Mar 7, 2014.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. allenskd
    Looks like a very interesting project. All good luck to them, it's not my type of game but it seems like people from Minecraft/Starbound and similar games will feel at home.
  2. booman
    It appears more detailed and action oriented than Minecraft.
    The capability to build and craft and an RPG too.
    I love RPG's and the ability to develop your character. I was hoping Minecraft had that capability and lots of minions to kill, but it seems more of a sandbox/survivor type of game.
    I think I'll like Planets³ much better...
  3. Daerandin
    Thanks for the heads up, I am now a backer of this project. I instantly loved the concept for this game. I really hope they reach the stretch goal for a Linux version.
  4. booman
    Me too... I wonder if you will get to play alpha/beta releases as a backer?
  5. Daerandin
    It says on the kickstarter page that you get alpha/beta release depending on how much you pledged. Pledge just 20 or more and you get alpha and beta access. Those will undoubtedly be windows versions since the Linux version is part of the 350k stretch goal.
  6. booman
    350K? Wow, I would love to support them...
  7. Daerandin
    Hero-U, another project I backed, just barely managed to get past their 400k goal during the kickstarter campaign. The devs are largely unknown and I believe most backers were old Quest for Glory players who heard of their new project. I am hoping that since they managed 400k, this game should reach the stretch goal for a Linux version.
  8. booman
    I backed Planets³ with $15
    I couldn't help it... just looks so cool.
    Its what I wanted Minecraft to be all along.
  9. booman
    They might not make it...
    10 days left and only pledged $175K
  10. Daerandin
    They made it, just barely. That means no Linux version, but hopefully it will run in wine.
  11. booman
    Exactly! Awesome!
    But we'll see as time continues... maybe they will decide a Linux version later on?
    I just noticed my earlier post "350K?" was their original goal $350?
    I wonder why they lowered it?
  12. booman
    I just noticed that Planets didn't reach their 350K goal, which promised a Linux version.
    So who knows if we are going to get a Linux version at all.
    :(
  13. Aryvandaar
    Is it really a RPG? Having a story does not determine if a game is a RPG. Having customisation does not determine if a game is a RPG. Choices through actions and dialogue that affects the story is what makes a RPG.
  14. booman
    They didn't go into a lot of detail, but as long as I can level up my character, loot lots of armor/weapons, complete quests in any order then its an RPG as far as I am concerned.
  15. Daerandin
    Even though I do love many newer games that have the trend of story affecting choices in dialogue, it is not a criteria that I define an rpg by. I grew up playing the old school rpg's (late 80's early 90's) where character development, exploration and at times frustratingly difficult combat, were the main ingredients. I remember those old games usually only had a "save the world from the evil overlord" story, and very often the only place to properly get into the story was by reading a huge manual.

What I always love is starting out with a character that knows nothing, big and dangerous world to explore. Then with time building your character to the point where you can actually take on the most dangerous parts of the game.

So if I get skills and stats, quests, lots of different equipment, and a choice in how I want to go about solving quests, I'll call it an rpg.
  16. booman
    Ah, no wonder you like the Gothic games. I don't mind tedious dialog either. Even if there is no voice-over audio. Like in Morrowind. A lot more to read since they didn't record audio for every word.
    But I know mainstream games are catering to a wider audience, so they have to include more audio/visual elements to keep people attentive.
    Maybe RPG isn't the correct genre for these games anymore...
    Maybe they need a new name?

I know developers are use Classic RPG and Action RPG to describe their game, but games like Torchlight & Titan Quest do not really have any dialog options. Its all about hacking down minions and bosses, meanwhile you mico-manage your characters armor, weapons, skills and abilities. Definitely not a classic RPG at all.
  17. Aryvandaar
    I don't like the idea that progression and customization classify a game as a RPG, because that means that almost every game out there is a RPG. A genre is supposed to help people find what they are looking for, not make it harder.

So suddenly, CoD is a RPG? Battlefield?

If you look over the RPG list on steam it's almost impossible to find actual RPG, because it seems that almost any game that has a tiny bit of progression and extra customization is called a RPG.

Suddenly I see RTS games and tactical shooters labelled as RPG. It has come to the point where I almost start pulling my hair.

If RPG used to be like you said, then what was adventure games?

If you look at music genres you don't have this problem. Each genre is pretty specific, even though sub-genres of a main genre can be similar, there are notable differences.

Classic RPG would be like the older ones that Daerandin spoke of, and Action RPG would be games like Diablo, then games like The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Baldur's Gate and so on would be RPG?

I would be okay with that. All I want is a clear distinction between games that are very different in nature. It may be necessary to split up the RPG genre.
  18. Daerandin
    I agree that simply having the option for customization does not make a game rpg as that would include way too much. I still will not hold story as a defining element. Icewind Dale does not let you make any story affecting decisions, yet I don't think anyone will doubt it as an rpg.

I do agree that the term has been kind of watered down recently.

Adventure games have always, at least in my opinion, been recognized by the typical game mechanic of solving puzzles. That seem to be the primary challenge the player must overcome in such games.

Perhaps that's what it boils down to, what exactly is the players goal in the game. Shooters are pretty obvious, and those games always boil down to player skill. Adventure games is mostly about using your brains to solve puzzles and figure out stuff. RPG's don't rely as much on your skills, but more on your ability to plan character advancement as well as game progression.

In any case, people will probably always have differing opinions. Just don't let your ability to enjoy a game be decided by how others want to define a genre.
  19. Aryvandaar
    This has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the game. It has to do with how easy it is for me to find a game that I like. The frustration I feel is because I find it very hard to find the type of RPG I look for, and I know that many people agree with me (speaking for friends), and the genre really needs to split into sub-genres.