1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Task bar became non functional. Easiest reinstall from scratch of 19.1.

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by cloasters, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    When it comes to Mint, I honestly don't see why you would feel the need to hold back. Mint 20.1 is based on Ubuntu 20.04, which is almost a year old. That means that most software is on a year old versions, with a year of bugfixes and security fixes applied.

I suppose the only thing that might be less tested would be the software that the Mint people make themselves, which is just the Cinnamon desktop. But all the core components that your computer actually runs on is well tested. Even the repositories that Mint use is Ubuntu's software repositories. Mint only has one "Mint" repo which contains the cinnamon desktop, and some other software.

So in my opinion at least, there is no need to worry about a Mint update. Every new Mint release, is already an old Ubuntu release, especially when you come to the dot releases, as in 19.1 or 20.1.
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    So the question is... do I upgrade my existing Mint 19.3 or do a fresh install of Mint 20.1?
    My /home is on its own 1TB hdd and the OS is on a SSD.
    How painless would it be to just do a fresh install of 20.1 on the SSD?
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Now that I honestly don't know. I suppose just check the Mint website for the recommended way to do it. I don't think there should be a problem with upgrading, but you might want to do some cleanup after. Like removing unneeded software, getting rid of old kernel versions still taking up space.

I am personally not that familiar with the graphical installers anymore, but I seem to recall there being an "advanced" mode at the partitioning step. At this point I think you should be able to set it up so that your HDD is mounted on /home. But I just want to point out that I don't know what the installer does, and if it will touch the data on your /home partition. I would backup the data on your /home, just as a safety measure. But I don't think it needs to do that unless you specifically tell it to format this drive. Still, copy over any important data to an external drive first so you don't lose anything.
    booman likes this.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I think I'm gonna buy a new SSD and install Mint 20.1 on it, then mount the existing /home to my 1TB drive.
    The SSD I'm currently using is a bit old anyways. I've had it for about 6-7 years. It was in a previous computer that I was using.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Ah, yes. Windows. The horror!