1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What game are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Games' started by nathan86, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    My son and I just finished Doom Eternal for the first time last night on the highest difficulty settings [aside from the ones that will start you all over when you die].

My son, who is light-years better than I am [there's nothing like the reaction time of a 16 year old body] stated flat-out that it was the most difficult game he'd ever played. He has a lot of experience, so I have to agree, and I found parts of it to be almost impossible. I plan to play it again but also plan to reduce the difficulty level for myself.

In spite of the difficulty it was really enjoyable and it ran great, no crashes or bugs evident. Recommended.

Next on the list is Farcry 6, which is in the 'game queue' :)
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I yet to have played Eternal, but DOOM was stinking amazing! Ran perfectly with Vulkan!
    But I would never put myself through the pain of dying and starting over.... that is toooo painful.

Man.... I haven't played any Far Cry games since Far Cry 2
  3. HerbertCunningham

HerbertCunningham New Member

My favorite game Lords of Shadow, does anyone play it like me.
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Hello, checking in here again, been a while!

At the moment I'm playing Baldur's Gate. Not the Enhanced Edition, I'm playing the original game that runs in 640x480 resolution, and I have to say that I find it a lot more enjoyable than the EE. Why I like the original version better I can't say, might be nostalgia as I played the game back in 1998.

Since I'm using sway as my window manager, and it does not support dynamically changing resolution, I had to figure out how to get around that. Sway defines resolution in the config file, and I didn't want to manually edit the config file, then reload sway. My solution was then to create two config files, the normal one and the lower resolution config. Then I made the "default" config only be a symlink to either one of these. I then set up a keybind that will toggle which file the symlink points to, and reload sway. Essentially implementing dynamic resolution switching, just in a clunky way, haha.

At first I was looking for the ability to simply zoom or scale the desktop, but sway does not have zooming implemented, and the scaling didn't work out well.

I'm also playing the cooperative mode in Spellforce with a cousin. The game does not work normally over the internet anymore, only LAN, but we are using OpenVPN to let us play over LAN. I set up my computer as an OpenVPN server, and my cousing connects. So we can play any LAN only game this way.
  5. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Wow, it's been a whole year since last post in this thread. Time for another update.

As I'm currently on a trip far from home, I don't have access to my gaming computer, but I do have a small laptop with me that I can use for some older games. So I'm playing an old favorite of mine that I don't seem to get tired of: Master of Magic! The original release was in 1994, and the final patch for the game was in 1995. However, a new company bought the rights to the game and fixed some old bugs, while still leaving the gameplay and graphics just as they were.

Master of Magic is a turn based strategy game with a heavy focus on magic. You take the role of a powerful wizard, customizing your spellbook selection along with other unique skills. There is also a decent selection of different races to pick from, some of them offer very unique playstyles. The level of replayability is impressive with this game. Some screenshots from my recent games.

master1.jpg master2.jpg master3.jpg master4.jpg