1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghostbusters Help

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by giffmemana, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I have to admit, this is a tough one to figure out, haha. Sorry that I have not been able to look into this more today. I got a bit hung up on why the .asoundrc is seemingly not sourced on giffmemana's system, it is very odd. I have a theory it might be related to a 32-bit alsa-lib or util package missing. That or there is a chance that something that was mentioned in the first post, something about following some other tutorials which might have done something to permissions. If some commands have been run that change permissions or system config files, that can also have effects that are difficult to pin down.

I am planning to do a little test of Mint 17.2 64-bit in virtualbox when I have the time and test the same .asoundrc with a 32-bit virtual drive in PlayOnLinux and see if ALSA works. The thing is that I am completely unfamiliar with naming schemes for packages that Ubuntu/Mint are using, and I am also a little unfamiliar with the package manager in Mint, so I'll need to spend a little time to learn and dig up some specific package names.

As long as @giffmemana has not given up on this yet, then I'll definitely get back on this in a day or two. I do have one request, if you have a link to whatever tutorials you had followed previously that might have messed up permissions, I'd love to see that so I can have an idea if something has been changed on your system that might cause other issues.
  2. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I am not using ALT+TAB. I haven't given up yet. I reinstalled my linux recently (less than a week ago) so I do not think I have done anything to change permissions ( haven't used any unneeded sudo command that I can remember, or changing permissions of something). For the tutorials - I am POL 4.2.9 (from the pol download page). I have installed steam throught boomans tutorials - Just downloaded steam.exe and ran it through my drive after installing corefonts,tahoma,dx3d9. Wine version 1.7.51. If I can do anything more to help you please do tell me.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    How about your motherboard?
    Maybe there are some issues with your chipset and/or audio chipset and Linux Kernel?

Did you have this problem with any other games in PlayOnLinux?
  4. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

No audio issues in any other game.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Can you post your motherboard model and I'll search for others who have had issues like this.
    Might was well download some other versions of Wine and try those too
  6. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I am pretty sure its not my hardware ( I hope so I won't be able to get a new motherboard/sound card if so). I am close to finishing the game (muscled through it with the terrible audio and not being to be able to do more than a 360 degrees turn). I would still like to see if I have alsa problems @Daerandin
  7. booman

Home page:
    I don't think its a motherboard hardware problem, but maybe a driver problem. When we install Mint, it handles all the hardware with the Kernel, so we don't have to install anything but the video card drivers.
    The reason I don't think its a driver problem is because none of your other PlayOnLinux games have this problem.
    Have you tried some other versions of Wine?
    Have you tried cranking down the graphics as a test?
  8. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

Finished the game. I already played on minimum graphics, didn't try different wine versions thought. This is/was the first game on wine that had /major/ issues. Still was playable but I believe a very few will want to play with the audio issues and the mouse ones ( sometimes you couldn't look all the way up and/or down). It was a nice game.
    mrdeathjr28 and booman like this.
  9. Daerandin

Home page:
    Things have been a bit hectic for me these days, so just dropping by to say that I might not get to do the testing I intended today, if not then I'll do it tomorrow. I still want you to test if sound works with PulseAudio when you only use

Code:
    default-fragment-size-msec = 5
    In /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and not use any other options. Also make sure the line is not commentet out with a ; symbol.

As for the ALSA issue, it should help with the sounds in the game, although that might be a less importance now that you've played through it. But I'd still like to figure out why ALSA can't seem to work, or at least why the .asoundrc was working. So I'll report back here once I've done the tests I have planned in virtualbox.
  10. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

Setting is on 5 - still had the issues ( although originally was on 10 as I said and it fixed it noticabaly but not fully). It's not commented out.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Wow, how long did it take you to finish it?
    You must be as stubborn as I am to play game :D

So strange you still had those symptoms.
    I've seen the mouse problem on Crysis and Sacred among other games. Normally if I clicked the screen it would go away.
  12. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I have a little over 11 hours. I spent 2-2 and a half of those trying to fix the audio and the cutscene dialog (which was not working at first but I solved that) - restarting the game, waiting for the first cutscene to finish (you can't skip the 1st cutscene). Had to play on minimum because my weak hardware but the game still didn't look that bad, im still on the pcmasterrace anyway :D. I guess I was pretty stubborn considering the problems but I liked the game and the franchise and im not that pretentious but im sure many people would not do that.
  13. booman

Home page:
    I LOVED Ghostbusters! Beautiful graphics, everything is destructible, great voice-overs and a LOT of action!
    I also love the feeling that I'm part of the old Ghostbusters movie. A lot of fun, totally worth the trouble to get it to run.
    Out of curiosity, I might run it on my other Mint computer as well. It has the same video card as mine, but different motherboard and audio card. Your symptoms are so strange.
    Did you ever just remove pulseaudio to see if that would fix the problem?
  14. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

You have another 550 ti - can i haz plz :D. Anyway I think I did but I had no cutscene dialog audio again or something. Im not sure I removed it completely. I think it will run fine for you - you have a much better rig and if Mint has some troubles it's a fast reinstall to a different distro. The game was really good yeah, they didn't overuse the theme song too (aka constantly reminding us this is ghostbusters) . Something I think the new movie will.
  15. Daerandin

Home page:
    You are definitely persistent that you played through the game in the state you had to.

I did learn something now about Mint from the testing I've done so far. Mint is not set up to use ALSA at all, which is why the .asoundrc does not work. Since I am unfamiliar with Mint's setup I will need some time to dig around and see how Mint can be set up run ALSA/Pulse in a way that let you easily give up control to ALSA when desired.

In the meantime, could you post the entire contents of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf? Just run

Code:
    cat /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
    and paste it all here.

I have two different ideas about how to give up control to ALSA on Mint and will post back here as soon as I figure out specifically how. This is actually very interesting for me since I get to learn a bit more how things work when everything is set up differently than what I am used to.
  16. booman

Home page:
    What? Mint doesn't use ALSA anymore? What does it use?
  17. Daerandin

Home page:
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy.

To be honest, I really could not figure out why ALSA does not seem to natively run on Mint. ALSA should always be running since it is built-in kernel modules. To sum it up quickly, everything I've learned about ALSA/PA on Arch didn't seem to work on Mint. Arch is not pre-configured in any way, so anything you don't configure yourself will run with upstream defaults. This means that Mint developers have obviously made some specific changes to have things run in a certain way.

Instead of trying to figure out what and why, I just focused on making PulseAudio play nice. I don't have Ghostbusters, so I can't test this game. But I used Heroes Chronicles, which I know has audio issues with plain PA. I tested one idea I had, and it fixes the problem, so hopefully this will prove useful to @giffmemana as well.

You will need to edit the file /etc/pulse/default.pa

Look through the file for a section that looks like this:

Code:
    ### Load audio drivers statically
    ### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
    ### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
    #load-module module-alsa-sink   <---
    #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0   <---
    #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-null-sink
    #load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
    .ifexists module-udev-detect.so   <---
    load-module module-udev-detect use_ucm=0  <---
    .else  <---
    ### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
    load-module module-detect  <---
    .endif  <---
    Note that I have marked what lines you want to edit above just to make it easier to make out what changes you want to do. So edit those lines to look exactly like this:

Code:
    ### Load audio drivers statically
    ### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
    ### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
    load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
    #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-null-sink
    #load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
    #.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
    #load-module module-udev-detect use_ucm=0
    #.else
    ### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
    #load-module module-detect
    #.endif
    Now save the file and reboot your system. Restarting PA is not enough for these changes, so just reboot. I can't guarantee that this solves your problem, but all the sound issues I had on my Mint test box were solved by this, so hopefully this will prove useful for you as well.
  18. booman

Home page:
    You marked the lines with these arrows correct?
    <---
  19. Daerandin

Home page:
    Yes, I should probably have indicated that more clearly.
  20. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

Thanks for the help. I've moved on and played other games ( I did finish the game after all) and I haven't been checking the thread). It's really cool there are people out there that enjoy playing on linux and know what they are doing.
    booman likes this.