1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Breach--but only two billion records

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by cloasters, Mar 12, 2019.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    There's a very old story concerning a village that had it's very ow Guru, people came from all around to gain his wisdom. The the people in his own village were so quarrel some that the guru moved out and went to live in a cave.
    Soon conditions grew so bad that the villagers walked up the mountain together and begged him to return. Which of course he did as things in the village were an awful mess.

Once he returned things soon righted themselves and peace did indeed rain for a short time.
    But once they no longer feared self destruction the bickering soon returned
    and their guru soon removed himself back to his cave

This story i so old because it is a cyclic event. As soon as people think they are safe to do as they wish, things go to hell. As soon as things go to hell we look for one who can correct our errors without changing US!.

In this vain it seems to me that we will see mega breaches for as long as we ignore what ALL of our security services tell us.Computing and working on and with the internet can be secure!

And will be just as soon as we put security first!
    As long as it is an after though those with forethought will rob us blind!

Just something I picked up hanging with Gizmo and Aidan. ":O}
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I remember being surprised to learn from a pal much more computer savvy than I that MS built a LOT of ""security"" (into Win95) in other words, yawning holes for the shecurity agents to make sure that the little people shtayed in line with what Massa wanted.

Personally, I very seriously doubt that his will improve---ever. Keeping a sharp eye on the peasants was and is and will be a requirement. The little people will never rise above their station. If they do all will be lost in the executive suites. What? We will make that impossible!

Wish it was easier to free my brain and spirit and rise above the morass of misery that's free for the taking. Making real change between my ears is so difficult that I doubt the possibility of it.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    Think of it as a leaky faucet.if only drips once an hour whose going to bother fixing it.
    But once it has flooded the kitchen, It gets an upgrade.

When customers no longer trust retailers with their business, when communication becomes a total liability
    When companies lose more than they save by inadequate security...

That's when we become willing to listen to the tech guys living in a cave. None of this has to be this way.
    We know how to do it right. We simply haven't been sufficiently motivated to protect our own asses yet.

Look at me. Never had a virus, never been hacked. Mostly because "Why would anyone bother?"

I pay little more than lip service to security. I over use my passwords and pretty much act as if this world holds no dangers for me. Beyond using Linux and being careful around e-mails from folks I don't know...I live a carefree computing life and will until they flood my kitchen.
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Once in a while I run my System Monitor for the heck of it. After many hours of running the box I often find that one core is running at 100% utilization. Why? Dunno. Recently TWO cores were running at 100%. WTH, over?

This makes me think--hopefully incorrectly--that someone has hacked my machine and is using my CPU power for THEIR benefit.

Please, please, please tell me that my machine is only working for me.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    I have no way of knowing this George. But have you checked your bios to make sure all of your cores are made active?
    Can Some one offer George better insight as to how one makes sure that one is still in charge of the great computations of his life?
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm not sure about all four cores being active in BIOS. But all of the cores are doing work if that means anything. Sometimes one core will drop to zero usage for a few seconds. Thanks for your reply.
  8. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Unlikely that you've been infected by a virus, if for no other reason than because there aren't many that target Linux.

Can you pull up a shell, run the 'top' command, and show me the output from that for the first dozen or so lines?
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Don't know how to pull up a shell. Apologies! Running the top command in terminal, is that it?
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    Boy! Did I see this one coming!! LOL
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    Gizmo please remember who your talking to. Me and George, we're not very hip to this stiuff! LOL
  12. Gizmo

Home page:
    Exactly
  13. Gizmo

Home page:
    I figured it would engender a teaching moment. :)
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Gizmo, it was indeed a teaching moment! I don't know how to get a screenshot of this, but the "top" command in Terminal brings up the very first item: blocktube CPU1 (99.yadda percent
    followed by: blocktube CPU2 (99.yadda per cent

Argh, my "formatting" of the text was messed up. "blocktube CPU2 (99.yadda percent" is seen exactly below "blocktube CPU1 (99.yadda percent".

This was after the machine ran unattended for perhaps 4 hours, time enough for the screensaver to run and requiring unlocking the clock graphic to access.

Rebooting ended the two proc cores hogging of the action.

Do I need to worry about any heat issues because of this manic core usage? And what does "blocktube" mean, please? Please.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Which part, the I don't know part. Or the running the "top" command in Terminal?
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    It was supposed to be WE don't know, but you had to go and know something!!

Now Gizmo is all up and into teaching moments. and I have to face the fact that you now stuff I don't.

You guys do realize this is Sunday!!!

Is Sunday really really the right time to crush my ego?

And to think I might of slept late and avoided all this aggravation.

Don't apologize, it will just make this worse for me.!! ":O}
  17. Gizmo

Home page:
    Unless you are throttling from the heat (which will cause you to lose performance while the throttling is happening), it's unlikely to cause permanent harm during the expected lifetime of the processor. It will adversely affect your electricity bill, though. :)

BlockTube is an extension (plugin) loaded in Firefox, and it had to have been loaded by you at some point. There may be some problem with the plugin. In any case, the purpose of the plugin is to allow you to control what stuff shows up for you on YouTube.
  18. Gizmo

Home page:
    Press and hold your Alt key, while simultaneously pressing the 'Print Screen' key (usually labeled 'Prt Sc' or something similar on your keyboard). You'll typically find the print screen key above the Insert key above the cursor cluster if you have a full 101-key or 104-key keyboard. For smaller keyboards, it may be labled on the front edge of they key as an 'extended' key function, requiring you to also hold a 'function' or 'system' key (although this is typically only the case for laptops and other reduced-size keyboards).
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

No, I'm not throttling the CPU. My electric bill is already sky high, why mess up a good thing?

Thank you very much for your time and efforts on my behalf, Gizmo!
    Firefox, hmm. Haven't used it for quite a while. So there's no chance that running Blocktube is protecting my box from something unwanted?

While in Terminal mode using the Alt+Print screen combo causes nothing to happen The Print Screen key is divided in half by SysRq on the lower half of the key.

Will holding down the Shift key plus the two others "shift" the key to its upper function?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Aw shucks Dan. You know plenty more than I do about Linux. Trying to hide your light under a bushel? But a bushel of what, that's my Q?