1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Linux

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by ChristopherValenti12, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm going to do a quick check on Roku see if it can HD
  2. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

So you have 4k@60Hz and sound through the receiver?
  3. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

I'm only looking at your computer, not your Roku - different hardware, different problems
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    The@%$^(*@$#$ roku passed once then started failing once again.
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yes kimasavy I think your work here is done.
  6. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Cool...What does it do? how does it do it, how do I hook it up?
    How many do I need?
  8. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Well, I changed the product. My understanding is you hook it up in between the Roku and the AVR, set the daisy when to provide a 4K EDID and it will provide one instead of trying to negotiate resolution with the avr.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ok,I'll get the one you suggested...I cannot fathom how you know all this stuff, but I'm sure glad you do! ":O}
    Many many thanks.
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    The new one only does 1.4

Hmmm maybe not, it's confusing to me:
    Will it support HDR? and UHD Never mind I can see that it does. Again Many thanks Kaitain...I had pretty much resigned myself to not getting what I paid for.

Zerone HDMI EDID Feeader EDID Manager Emulator Support 4K CEC, 1.4V HDMI Cable, (Up to 10M Distance)

by Zerone
    Be the first to review this item

Price: $22.99 FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime & FREE Returns

【ONE CHANNEL HDMI SIGNAL INPUT】The HDMI EDID feeader is one channel HDMI signal input, one channel HDMI signal output.
    • 【16 KINDS OF EDIE MODE】The HDMI EDID feeader has 16 kinds of EDID mode, adjust the signal source EDID, compatible with the back-end display device.
    • 【SUPPORT UP TO 4K RESOLUTION】The HDMI EDID feeader supports up to 4K resolution, allowing you to enjoy ultra high definition quality.
    • 【HDMI OUTPUT DISTANCE UP TO 10M】The HDMI output distance up to 10M, standard 26AWG, 1.4V HDMI cable, support CEC.
    • 【EASY TO INSTALL】The HDMI EDID feeader is easy to install, no extra power required.

Compare with similar items

New (3) from $22.99 & FREE shipping on orders over $25.00. Details
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I.m pretty sure you choice doesn't support 2.2 which is why I keep getting rejected by roko, says I don't have it, when I do, thank you Denon.
    Whats needed is one. that has 2.2, HDR and UHD and of course 3820 X2160@60hz

Ben looking not not have any luck. After all you've done for me it would be shame if you had to watch me blow it now...Yes? ":O}
  12. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

D~, I set out to get your computer to talk to your TV through the AVR at a resolution of 4K@60Hz on updated drivers, and that is what I've done. Your Roku is a closed hardware device and there's nothing much that I can do personally to make it behave properly.

I think at this point I should explain what we've done so far and why, and why this doesn't make your Roku suddenly work as well.

Your video card and TV can both manage a long list of different screenmodes - combinations of resolution and refresh rate. Rather than trying each in turn until a signal lock is achieved, a package of data is sent by the monitor or TV back to the video card listing its acceptable screenmodes. The video card then picks its favourite out of those and attempts to start a display accordingly. If all works well, you get a very fast, flicker-free new resolution.

The package of data is standardised as the Extended Display Identification Data file - EDID. Unfortunately, like all standards, almost all manufacturers deviate somewhat from this, introducing custom extensions and inconsistencies in structure. Also sometimes they mess up on the hardware side so that systems don't correctly send, or parse, the EDID. More recently, EDIDs also reveal information about audio devices, available codecs and so forth.

There are often problems when AVRs are put into the loop. The AVR must also be able to tolerate the screenmode, audio format, codec etc. and so needs to intervene. What should happen is that the AVR has software to unpack the display's EDID, select its preferred screenmode and pass that through, then inject the AVR's audio format information as an extension block, before repackaging it correctly and passing it to the video device.

Unfortunately, like all standards, some implementations are more standard than others. If your TV doesn't present itself properly, or has too many or conflicting extension blocks, or if the AVR doesn't correctly handle the EDID parsing, or... as I think is the case with the Denon, it doesn't even try, but just provides a half-hearted version of its own... the video source can't understand the EDID, so falls back to the older method of trying each mode in turn until it obtains a signal lock. Sometimes, the AVR does work correctly, but too slowly, so the video source gives up before receiving a full EDID.

What we did for your nVidia card:
    nVidia made changes to modesetting with drivers in the 360-series, to allow limited kernel modesetting support. This also changed how the driver handled EDIDs. I don't know the specifics of the change, but the result is that it's more sensitive to malformed EDIDs than older generations.

How we did it:
    Collect the EDID from your HiSense TV
    Force the nvidia driver to use that, instead of to listen for one coming from the Denon. Your computer's video card is no longer even aware that there's an AVR connected to it.

Result: 4K@60Hz on 430-series drivers (with sound) through your AVR.

Why doesn't this work for the Roku:
    We made no changes to the Roku
    The Roku is a closed device - we can't modify its software
    The Roku is still trying to obtain an EDID from the Denon
    The Denon isn't providing a correct EDID

What can you do about the Roku:
    You can contact Roku's tech support - they seem to be reasonably responsive, looking at their forums, and they might be able to give you a patch, or
    You can add a hardware device to spoof the EDID

If you add a hardware device:
    The hardware device ONLY provides an EDID. It does not decode the signal in any way. As such, the device does not need to support HDR etc.. It only needs to pass through an HDMI2.0b or better signal.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    K. you have always been a friend to me I can't say how much I appreciate the many hardware and software journeys we've taken together over the years.

I do have a few questions...
    in no particular order

What effect would a fresh install of mint have on what we've done? Wipe out?

Mint occasionally throws drivers into it's updates...is this a concern?

So If I understand you rightly the
    Zerone HDMI EDID Feeader EDID Manager Emulator Support 4K CEC, 1.4V HDMI Cable, (Up to 10M Distance)

is still a good choice? The roku fails the 2.2 HDCP test...hence my concern about the 1,4V HDMI cable, mine are all 2.2

When I first hit this wall I called Hisence as I was using it as my switcher. They could not even tell me how to get lip sync to work. Forums may be a better chance, thanks!

Do you use Nvidia? there are all sorts of settings in it's app i use have zero understanding of.

Another time when I haven't used up my K. allowance.":O}

Is there anything I might do than may adversely effect the wonder you have wrought upon my video card? Things Daniel shouldn't play with?

I love your work I hate like hell when I mess it up....I'm sure you can relate to that! ":O}

Hardly anyone has a Kaitain...Is NVIDIA at all trying to make this right for the average user?

Do thank your family on my behalf for the time you spend with me. As your away much of the time I know it must be precious to them.

Any chance that an emulator would work for my Rouk to get it to properly see my HDCP 2.2?

So I'm off to buy my emulator. You put a big fat smile upon my face.":O}

14. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Yes.

Take a copy of /etc/X11/edid.bin and /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Better yet, upload /etc/X11/edid.bin onto here. That way if you ever do need to reinstall, I can give you instructions to get back to where you are today very quickly, as we've now identified the problem and don't need to go through the whole process again.

No, those won't touch the two files in question.

Truth be told, I have no idea. I don't know whether the first one will be better, or the second one, or some other one. I looked for the first two hits I could find, late at night before sleep. Those two suggestions are the cheapest pass-through 4K EDID emulators I could find. There are better ones, but when an EDID emulator starts getting towards $200 then you're almost getting into the budget for a new AVR.

You're mixing units. The 1.4V refers to cable voltage. 2.2 refers to the content protection version. I'll be honest, I'm not sure whether the EDID emulator wouldn't break HDCP anyway. It's a case of, it's not a massive amount of money to risk, with a huge potential payoff, so try it and see.

Timeshifting should be in the Roku settings, not the HiSense unit. If lipsync was off, that was a Roku problem.

My old laptop has a geriatric GT320M (laptop version of GT218). My current laptop is AMD. But feel free to post screenshots and I'll explain.

Other than backing them up, leave /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/edid.bin alone. Leave the cables alone. The computer doesn't need a shower or cuddles, and would be quite mortally upset if you let the magic blue smoke out. Don't call it names and don't put Windows on it, and you'll do just fine.

I'm still overseas until next week, home midweek, then we're all off on holiday together... with nary a computer in sight :D
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    Your being to kind as usual.":O}

Where do I find /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/edid.bin I want to be sure I copy the right guy.s.
    Your right it's a chance worth the taking.

In the first pic:
    What is and should I use it FXAA and should I use override app?

In the second pic:
    Should I force the pipelines?

The third pic is all Greek to me. Please recommend settings
    .OH! Can I change drivers, when new ones are offered by Mint Driver manager?

Great to learn of your up coming vacation. You guys gonna lay back at home or go adventuring?
    Hows number one son doing...Is it customary to even inquire about number two? ":O}

If you've given them personal names, I'd love to hear them. Seriously hows family life treating you?

Attached Files:

16. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Do this as your normal user, no need for root permissions. (DON'T sudo these if they go wrong to ensure you can't accidentally delete anything):

cd ~
    mkdir vidbackup
    cd vidbackup
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/vidbackup/
    cp /etc/X11/edid.bin ~/vidbackup/
    cd ~
    tar czf vidbackup.tar.gz vidbackup

Once done, you can upload the file to a message on here, or save it to a USB stick, or do whatever you normally do to keep your precious files safe.

FXAA = "Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing"

Short explanation is it makes the picture slightly blurry to hide jagged edges. If the app's not designed for it, it looks like the screen's dirty - leave this on "Use application settings" unless you enjoy myopia.

Anisotropic filtering is the other one on that page. Also leave it alone - it sharpens up textures to try to bring out surface details like wood grain, and so can make things look pixellated and hard edged.

If you watch a video through your computer and experience screen tearing, turn on Force Pipeline. If you still have tearing, turn on Force Full Pipeline. Turn both back off before playing games though, unless you like that treacle experience.

Leave these alone - they're harmless.

I did consider giving them serial numbers, but the registrar didn't seem amused. Anyway, both are doing well - schools seem to like them, they have enough friends that we're not worried about them turning into axe murderers, and not so many that we're worried about them turning into politicians. Son the second has a phenomenally competitive streak, and I fully expect him to surpass #1 in just about everything, but of course I'm not planning to tell him that. #1 apparently has inherited my complacent streak, so having to find ways to keep him motivated. Apparently motivation by cattle prod is unethical thesedays, though...

More seriously, just looking forward to seeing them all for real, rather than on a phone screen.

As to names... that's one for a PM sometime - they can choose when and how to put their names on the public internet, when they're old enough :)
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Screenshot from 2019-07-25 17-34-13.png Sorry I forgot we are not alone. Time really speeds up after 60. I get though a week in two days.
    But nothing slows time like being far from those you love most. I hope you get a lest a month to enjoy
    each other ...in person.

I think I'll go play terminal now, will post here and save to my backup drive
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    Or as now seems likely did you want this file saved?

Attached Files:

19. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Perfect! Those files check out OK, so all done where your computer's concerned.

Which version of Roku do you have, by the way?
  20. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Actually...

D~, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I did some more reading into your Denon AVR-S500BT - the S500BT is NOT HDCP2.2-compliant. No matter what we do, your Roku will not display 4K via the Denon unit. Your TV is HDCP2.2-compliant, however.

HDCP2.2-compliance was only introduced with the Denon AVR-S510BT, which was the refresh version of the same box, released a year later.

What this means is, if you haven't already ordered your EDID emulator, don't. If you have... well, we'll chat over PM, as I should've checked this before.

:(