1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get Farcry 3 to run (Steam)

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by steve723, Jul 1, 2014.

1. steve723

steve723 Member

Can get to Uplay. Uplay updates twice. The third time Uplay runs it says checking for updates...... The last line of my POL log says network change notifier returned error code 8 or something like that. Obviously the internet works so why is Uplay failing to connect. I tried reinstalling and letting Steam install what it wants. I just installed mscorefonts and Steam. Steam installed everything else. Anybody got any ideas? PS. I really hate Uplay. It plays plays badly with wine. Whats worse getting EA's Origin to work via POL/wine or ubisoft's Uplay. Isn't DRM fun. :rolleyes: Farcry 3 would probably run if not for Uplay.
  2. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

For this title you need crypt32 as native on winecfg (this step requieres crypt32.dll windows library on your uplay binary folder) and if dont stay on uplay binary location MSASN1.dll and libcef.dll (this library is included on lastest uplay versions)

Something more this title must be run on windowed mode for prevent mouse problems , Thanks to http://www.gamersonlinux.com for tip

On my case runs mostly games (on some cases as dishonored its needed change this for Windows 7 or on silent hill 3 its needed put on Windows 98 or Windows Me) with wine default windows version to imitate aka Windows XP

For disgrace AMD driver on wine (opensource - closed source) need improve so much

This situation is very common: low performance compared with same level nvidia vga card

Other things its lower compatibility

Opensource driver give more compatibility but have lower performance and propietary driver give more performance but have lower compatibility

On my case use two different versions of mint (i use mainly games on wine, i dont use native games)

Linux Mint 16 KDE 32Bits PAE Enabled Kernel 3.11.0.12 (very usefull for lastest releases on wine, especially source code) with Nvidia Drivers 340.17

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64Bits Kernel 3.13.0.24 (lastest experiment and work good with wine but need various things to work as ppa compholio and others) with Nvidia Drivers 340.17

With this hardware

CPU: INTEL Pentium G3220 (Haswell 22nm) 3.0Ghz (Dual-Core) MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (128 bit dual channel: 21.3 gb/s) GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 1800Mhz 64Bit (14.4Gb/s) MAINBOARD: MSI H81M E33

Especially on wine case is highly recommended INTEL cpu because give more fps performance than amd (more Intructions Per Cycle at same frequency than AMD)

On VGA (wine) i recommend nvidia with privative drivers, because give more compatibility than AMD (open source and closed drivers)

And give more performance (many titles on AMD dont run, or run with grapihcs bugs, or fps performance its much lower than same level nvidia vga card

On various games you gain around 50% or more fps performance depending title)

On my youtube channel have some videos with various games running on wine (around 1100 videos for now)

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28

Or some results on my blog since 2009

http://gamesonwine.blogspot.com/

:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  3. steve723

steve723 Member

I can not find MSASN1.dll on my Windows Vista partition. The Steam store says the game is compatible with Windows XP to Win7 so where is the file?
  4. mrdeathjr28

This file can be downloaded from dll-files .com, this step is needed on various games when this thitiles need some dll

For this reason its important run game (if dont run especially) on console for see dll errors

5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    i feel your pain Steve! My list of failed games is small, but most of them are because of a 3rd party client or DRM.
    Really sucks because I know those games will run just fine! I could use a no-cd-crack, but I rather encourage people to play game with honor and pay for them.
    But in some cases, if you have played the game and the DRM is not working, then I'll use a no-cd-crack.
    Its rare!
  6. steve723

steve723 Member

That's not an option in this case since its Steam.
  7. booman

Home page:
    There still might be a no-cd crack that eliminates Steam all together, but use it at your own risk. I prefer not using it of course. :)
  8. steve723

steve723 Member

Of course since using them makes it look like something bad is going on.
  9. booman

Home page:
    yeah, I avoid them unless I have no other choice because of DRM problems. I don't know what it will take for Wine to be fully compatible with all DRM (when there are so many), but I'm sure its a lot of programming since its all about security, licensing, syncing, etc.
  10. steve723

steve723 Member

I think we need to get the U.S. Department of justice and The U.S. Supreme Court to work with the various companies to make DRM fair to everybody and not just the company's. If they ever do get their act together then we need to get In Interpool , The U.N. and so forth to cooperate with the U.S.A..
  11. booman

Home page:
    How do we do that?
  12. steve723

steve723 Member

I wish I knew. First we have to get them to to relize its an important issue.
  13. booman

Home page:
    The whole issues revolves around money, so as long as companies are getting their money, government won't get involved.
    I've heard there are still a lot of pending laws for digital content, piracy, copyrights, etc
    The government is still having problems defining digital practices because they are changing so fast.
    Maybe some day there will be some tax-breaks if your game/media is DRM free.

Imagine if Valve went "heads up" and lost everything... there would be millions of pissed customers because none of their games will work in Steam. So piracy would take over just so you could play the games you downloaded and purchased through Steam.
    DRM-Free would totally fix this type of problem. But we all know Steam has a lot of benefits for Publisher, Developers and Indie's because of their success.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. steve723

steve723 Member

Here is an idea. How about a law that says: A company can take one dollar off up to 20% of their tax for each game they sell that has a Linux version. Games that use a wrapper do not count. The game must run natively in Linux and use OpenGL and either Pulse audio or at least ALSA. Think the federal government might go for something like that. It would most likely spur the national economy, raise the GNP, promote new jobs and lower prices by creating and maintaining competition between the various operating systems and maybe even convince Microsoft to actually make a decent OS and keep their prices reasonable. That would also force a reasonable DRM solution.
  15. booman

Home page:
    Lets start by calling our Congressman ;)
  16. steve723

steve723 Member

I'll have to email the congressperson as I have a speech disability. I am not sure what kind of words will get their attention. My dad taught me that the kinds of words you use can make a huge difference in whether some one pays any attention to what you say. You have to know what the words mean or you will likely fail as they will realize you don't know what you are saying. I wrote a college entrance essay that impressed the entrance officer so much that she let me enrol as soon as she could. It was an online school but its got the most advanced online learning system of the 21st century. polotitions are different. In the case of the school, I could talk about the subject I wanted to learn more about. Since I have some experience in that subject I was able to use the right kinds of words to make her think I knew a little more than I did. Politics are alien to my mind and the congress person may not know much about Linux. Most of time polotictions don't have a clue as to how the real world works.
  17. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, I'm no good with words. You have to think like a politician to communicate with one.

I guess the letter would have to express the benefits to the economy and the people.
    specially for tax breaks. It would also have to explain how Developers/Publishers would want this as well.
    Companies probably have experts estimate how much money is lost to piracy so they can decide how much a product is worth.
    Hence why games cost so much. They are probably over estimating because of piracy.
    So the letter would have to really explain both sides of the issue: Piracy vs Freedom
    I'm sure there are no laws against DRM because companies use it to protect their product and insure profits.
    But does our congressman know (or even care) about DRM's that don't work and cause loss of clients/profits?

It may be better to contact a publisher or developer to see what they have experienced and how they react or compensate over these issues.
  18. steve723

steve723 Member

wine1.7.22 has more DRM support for several games. I haven't checked whether POL has it yet.
  19. mrdeathjr28

And not only this on some games tested appears fps improvements

However on this version saint row the third improve performance and loading time improve too (character bug still continued)

Wine 1.7.21 + Nvidia 340.24

Wine 1.7.22 + Nvidia 340.24

On Dead Rising 2 appears performance improvements too

Wine 1.7.20 + Nvidia 340.17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m_PqUo7z-kQ

And on GTA IV appears performance improvements

Wine 1.7.21 + Nvidia 340.17

And i tested other titles like as The Darkness II and Spec Ops The Line and appears fps improvements, more later test farcry 3 and others

20. mrdeathjr28

This is tests with The Darkness II and Spec Ops The Line

The Darkness II

Spec Ops The Line