1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about purchasing my first game on steam for Linux

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by Lorena, May 17, 2016.

1. Lorena

Lorena Member

Hi people:
    Well as the title says Im really thinking about buying my first game on Steam for Linux.
    BUT... I have some question cause Im a complete noob and dont know much about all this "thing".
    The Game I like is Magicka 2 - Love how it looks, Im prety sure im going to have hours of fun.

So here are my doubts:
    1 - I read about the system requirements but im not sure its going to run properly on my computer.
    Minimum:
    Linux Ubuntu 12.04
    CPU - 3GHz Dual Core (Intel Pentium G3220 or higher / AMD A4-4000 or higher)
    RAM - 2 GB
    GPU - Nvidia GeForce 550 or better / ATI Radeon HD 5850 or better
    Drive - 3 GB
    Sound - DirectX Compatible Sound Card

Ideal:
    Linux Ubuntu 14.04
    CPU - 2.8GHz Quad Core (Intel Core i5-2300 or higher / AMD A8-3850 or higher)
    RAM - 4 GB
    GPU - Nvidia GeForce 640 or better / ATI Radeon HD 6670 or better
    Drive - 3 GB
    Sound - DirectX Compatible Sound Card

My Computer:
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (x86-64) - Wine version 1.8 - POL version 4.2.10
    Cinnamon version 2.8.6 - Linux Kernel 4.2.0-36 generic -
    RAM 3.2 GiB (has 2 memory cards 2 GiB each one - dont know why it keeps saying i have less ram
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo CU E4600 @ 2.40 Ghz x 2
    Graphic Card Advanced Micro Devices Inc AMD/ATI Park (Mobility Radeon HD 5430)
    prog-if 00 (VGA Controller)
    My sound is onboard.-

2 - What happens if you purchase a game and it doesnt work on your computer? can you change the game or get your money back? How does it work?
    3 - Can you install the game directly on your ubuntu or you have to do some procedure or install something special for the game to work?
    4 - If I buy the base game, am I going to have to purchase more stuff in the future? I mean, my boy has World of Warcraft and he is always paying per month and buying new expansions for the game to be up to date. I remember him complaning about being stuck in Pandaria and not been able to move forward until he pays.
    Maybe all this questions are stupid but as i said i never bought a game on the internet. Plus is not easy for us (Im in Argentina) to buy on steam. Credit cards always refuse to work with websites like steam and ofc U$1=$14,50. So for us is really expensive.
    Any advice will be very apreciated.
    Lorena
  2. Kowalsky

Kowalsky Member

Hi Lorena
    1) For what i see your cpu and your videocard are not enought powerful for this game, i have no so many experience but i think that can be a serious obstacle (run a free game with similar spec would be a good test)
    2) Have a refound it's always a trouble and i believe nobody will give you money back for your lower hardware
    3) Install a game on steam it's a easy thing (install steam purcase the game go to library select game and click on install), i never had problem with released games (be careful with early access)
    4) This is the harder answer because it's realy depend from game to game, mmorpg like world of warcraft have montly subscription and time to times extenction pack that you must buy if the server it was upgradet with it, other games could be extended via DLC. The real point is: you must read more you can about the game you are going to purcase! information generally it's the best way for do something in the way that you like!
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. Lorena

Lorena Member

Oh ok I see.... Well better i keep playing Runes of Magic and Drakensang Online.
    Maybe I can try Magicka (original) from a torrent or something and install using playonlinux.
    I dont know if that can be done - If I can test it on ubuntu 14.04 (the original is for windows only)
    and works fine on my computer Im gonna buy it for sure.-
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You have a laptop right? It might be time to invest in a gaming desktop. You can get away with a budget machine for around $500.00 and then upgrade later on. I know this isn't ideal, but that Mobility Radeon 5430 is going to have performance issues because of AMD's driver problems. I read about it all the time.
    If you had a GeForce chip, there is a chance Magicka 2 would play. I don't know how much the graphics quality has increase for Magicka 2 from the original, but Magicka 1 plays just fine in PlayOnLinux.

You will be limited with many games due to AMD drivers and the age of your video chip. But the good news is, there are still a lot of older and lower quality games that will play.
  5. Lorena

Lorena Member

My computer is an old desktop.
    Built with spare parts from my kids old computers.
    They have the gamer's desktops, mom only gets what they dont want anymore
  6. booman

Home page:
    What?? Then time to yank a video card from their systems. :D
    Seriously, if you have a spare $100.00 you can get a decent GeForce card and Linux gaming will be a LOT happier.
    I just purchased a GeForce 750 Ti for about $120.00 and it came with a $20.00 rebate
    This card doesn't require a power connector which means you probably won't have to upgrade the power supply.
    Do you know what motherboard you have?
  7. Lorena

Lorena Member

My husband told me last night he is going to buy an upgrade combo for my computer next month.
    That means an invest around $2500 (argentine pesos). Thats is like U$180 (american dollars) more or less.
    For us is a lot of money (my husband's monthly check is only $10000 (argentine pesos).-
    But my birthday is coming soon so im going to be lucky.
    His idea is to upgrade motherboard, processor and memory (cause if we upgrade mother, maybe my actual memories are not going to be compatible).
    For the video card upgrade ill have to wait until my younger boy changes his (he has a 2 GB Video Card an its Nvidia).
    Right now I have 1GB Video card - here is the link
    https://www.tecnogaming.com/2012/09/xfx-one-edition/
    We dont have much money but I can play my games right now. Plus I dont play games that need a lot of video resurces.
    If you guys can advice on what we can buy just let me know.
  8. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I always like to recommend my favorite game seller: GOG

My primary reasons for supporting GOG are their no-DRM policy. All their games are sold without copy protecion. Once you have purchased a game there, you can download the installer as often as you need, and the game can be installed as often as you want. So do check them out, their prices are also quite low, and they have a lot of older games as well. They do have a lot of Linux games (so no need for Wine), but most older games there should run well in Wine.

Steam is also a big favorite. If you purchase Linux games there then it's super easy to install and play since everything is handled from within the Steam client.

Do keep in mind that if you purchase Windows games, you may want to check first if they are known to run well in Wine.

Some older games that I know run well in Wine is the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale. The single player story can be played through in cooperative multiplayer. GOG have the newer enhanced editions, which runs natively on Linux. Actually, I believe you can get it in Steam as well, so where you buy it is simply a matter of preference, or where it is cheapest.
  9. Lorena

Lorena Member

Im going to pay a visit to GOG. Sounds interesting.
    But first Im going to upgrade my hardware.
    Better upgrade computer before buying new games
  10. booman

Home page:
    GOG is GREAT! Almost every single game I have purchased there runs in Wine. Even newer games like Darksiders, Risen 2 and Alan Wake series.

Daerandin and I have done a lot of PlayOnLinux guides for GOG games and a few Steam games. You can always search Google:
    Code:
    alan wake linux guide
    Our Guides should come up towards the top
  11. Lorena

Lorena Member

Yes i saw those guides Booman
    Guys..... you rock boys!!!!
    Im learning a bunch with you in this website.
    I told Booman that if you want i can translate your guides to spanish.
    I bet many linux gamers that doesnt speak english would love this information.
    Google auto translator is not accurate when you use it.
    If you would like my help on that just let me know.
    Maybe we can add a link to a spanish version of each guide.
  12. booman

Home page:
    I'm still consulting with the admins about this.
    I'll definitely get back to you
  13. Lorena

Lorena Member

Oki dokie Booman no problem.