1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UnderRail, LMDE2, error: no suitable graphics card found

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by CroMagnon, Jul 2, 2016.

1. CroMagnon

CroMagnon New Member

I have a decent amount of experience troubleshooting things like this, but Wine is unique, and you guys helped me gather some guidelines for how to deal with it. I needed to see how people with Wine/POL experience think and talk about troubleshooting in them.

But, honestly, my real intention was to develop a personality profile of you all so I could safely replace you with dopplegangers who could live your lives as undetected imposters, mimicking you perfectly, while the "real you" installs games in Wine for me.

I'm not surprised. Something weird happened, and I think I prevented that problem. Not entirely sure. But, that's about to be irrelevent because I'm going to install Mint 18.

I was hesitant to do that at first because I had no idea if the first install method I was given ran some specific scripts that would get skipped if I installed components one-by-one. Glad to have confirmation that its a good alternative method.

My distro is offended and the text-to-speech engine is spontaneously expressing rage!

Very good chance. I've been trying to find some clear sign in all of this that a Debian-based distro really cannot run this. Or, that making it work is beyond what skills I have.

Well, I'm running Linux Mint Debian Edition 2, based on Debian, while normal Mint is based on Ubuntu. My plan has been to learn things and try and get it to work on this Debian distro, but if it finally wouldn't happen, I'm going to install Mint 18 Mate Edition and see if that works.

I'm still pretty much a novice with linux considering its learning curve is more of a landscape. I don't use the CLI as much as I should.

That makes sense to me.

I've been trying to figure out if there are any better drivers in Debian for this golf-cart GPU.

This is what it has:

GPU: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series - using i915 driver provided by Jessie package xserver-xorg-video-intel version 2:2.21.15-2+b2.

I don't think that's a proprietary driver. I haven't been able to determine for certain that it's not, nor have I been able to find Intel Proprietary drivers for Debian for this GPU. I may look again for source code in case I can compile a proprietary driver myself, but that may be over my head until I go through a crash course in driver compiling.

I'm guessing Mint 18 will have actual proprietary drivers. I've backed up everything I need. Going to install that right now.
    booman likes this.
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Good luck with that. I'm pretty sure I'm clinically insane; the inside of my head is pretty much the definition of chaos.o_O You've seen 'The Terminator' right? SkyNET was what happened when they tried to stick my mind in a computer.3:)
    booman likes this.
  3. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I saw this coming and hid!
    Maybe I should have warned you guys...But I needed you to divert CroMagnon long enough to back everything up and get gone!
    Oh...Hi Cromagnon I didn't see you standing there!

"yesterday upon the stair
    I met a man who wasn't there!
    He wasn't there
    again today!
    I wish that man would go away!

See! I can hide REALLY well! ":O}
  4. CroMagnon

CroMagnon New Member

Now that I installed Linux Mint 18, Underrail loads to the main menu. I haven't played it yet.

I hoped it wasn't true, but Ubuntu/Mint's video driver is probably what made the difference here. Sometime later I may see if I can learn how to use that driver in a Debian-based distro, likely Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 again. LMDE2 runs faster than LM 18 or 17.3 on this netbook.

Booman, I think the dotnet errors were due to two things: not installing dotnet 3.5 first, and the POL installer wizard. I got the dotnet errors even after a clean install of Mint 18. I was installing dotnet 4.0 and dotnet 4.5, and got the same errors. Then, I installed dotnet 3.5 first, still using the installer wizard. Same errors. Then, I created the drive manually, and did manual component installations of core fonts, then dotnet 3.5, dotnet 4.0, dotnet 4.5, tahoma, xna 4.0, and d3dx9. That worked to get the game to load.

You didn't mean it, then. You thought people would just respawn.

You had plenty of time to back everything up. I've been at this for weeks -- and I've never played this game, so it's possible it wasn't even worth all the trouble (except for what I learned).

Also, my superpower isn't invisibility or harassing people from paradoxical dual states of existence/non-existence. My superpower is being a glutton for punishment in stubbornly trying to get games working. If a mile-wide meteorite impacted nearby while I was worrking on this, I would only have perished upon getting Underrail working.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You are pretty funny CroMagnon, thanks for the laugh this morning!

I'm glad you are trying out Mint 18. I haven't broken down yet and tried it.
    Ironically those Intel drivers are strange with Linux.
    On my Chromebook I installed Ubuntu 12 and the Intel drivers were automatically installed, but when I upgrade to Ubuntu 14 they are not installed. But video works fine, just no gaming performance.
    In Mint you can use the Driver Manager to see if the proprietary drivers are installed for your video chip.
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    ROFL

Now THAT'S getting a little too close to home. My wife swears that when I get focused on a problem the only thing that will distract me is the ending of time, and she's not even sure about that. :rolleyes:
  7. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Well you got Mint 18 out of it...a thing of inestimable value! ":O}