1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is everybody?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by booman, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Work is as usual taking a lot of my time, still quite a bit of overtime. And first years exam for my online studies started yesterday. I have two weeks on this exam so I will definitely still be quite busy the weeks ahead.

I am also into tabletop games. Space Hulk is my favorite board game, but I have quite a few other as well. I also used to play DnD quite a bit many years back, but now it rarely ever happens. I'm just not social enough to be a part of gaming clubs, I prefer to play with people I know well.
    graywolf.theheathen likes this.
  2. graywolf.theheathen

graywolf.theheathen Member

Tabletop like pen and paper and dice Dungeons and Dragons. But I use Pathfinder rules. It is my own custom campaign world. I have been playing DnD since 1984.
    Daerandin likes this.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    You're the DM, right? Or technically GM if you use Pathfinder rules.

I've never been a player, only been GM for both DnD and Deathwatch (Warhammer 40k game where the players are Space Marines). However I've never made my own custom campaign world, for DnD I've always used 3rd edition Forgotten Realms. You've definitely been playing a lot longer than me.
    Aremis likes this.
  4. graywolf.theheathen

graywolf.theheathen Member

Yeah I'm the DM/GM, usually am. I got to play some in the 90's when a couple of the people I played with also had their own campaigns they were running. We'd switch off weekends.

I have used Forgotten Realms a lot and probably will again. Especially now that they are correcting so many of the things they messed up with the world/story in 4th edition. Now that they are doing the Sundering and bringing back gods they killed off we can get back to business as usual. This campaign is a smaller one. It is a lot of work to flesh out a world.
  5. Aremis

Aremis Member

Lately I've been into more and more game grumps. Just paid for netfilx so my mind is falling apart from attack on titan.

I'm also in the works of designing a way to use the oculus rift to have a "Virtual Desk" in which you use the oculus to have as many computer monitors that you would want all at once and not have any actual monitors on your desk. I have the rift that the tech club of my college bought and if I can make a 3D trial in maybe GMOD and present it to the tech board they'll buy me a rift and whatever I'll need to make it work.

Excited on that.

I've also been working on a way to use socat to detect data in COM1 and COM2 ports so that I can make and adapter for HP-IB plugs and read data coming from 1980's era industrial knitting machines that my mother has. From there, the data let off USUALLY goes to a windows 3 machine and is set in COBOL. I need an active COBOL library and to make the cable still, though I can't find spare HP-IB cables anywhere but the two that came with it!
    graywolf.theheathen and booman like this.
  6. Aremis

Aremis Member

I've played DM GM sets before. Though the campaigns I would acquire were not as fun as the ones I would make.

Every campaign I write different algorithms based on random numbers, stats, and dice rolls to determine things like door strength and room size, or if a chest will explode. Stuff that makes it feel like a real world with actual tension and everything.

If a chest is going to explode or at least have a trap it'll be choose a random number 1-14 and off and on it'll be 1 3 5 7 9 blah blah that mirrors each number anyways for good or bad and 1/2 your dice roll or.... Something like that. I don't have them anymore I don't think I'd have to dig for them or write a new one. But it adds tension as well as a feeling of a house is spacious or tiny.

Anyways, I want it to feel like morrowind so that's how I write it :p
    Daerandin likes this.
  7. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

In my case I am very busy with applications for university and enterprises for dual course of study and some exams in my school.
    It takes a lot of time and I only have maybe 2 hours a week for gaming.
    At the moment I've started the campaign of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Unreal Tournament 2004. Some good games I used to play some years ago.
  8. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Multiple Desktops is a great idea. Then you can run Arch on one, Mint on another, SteamOS on one more and some console emulators on another...

I was talking to someone about those Industrial Knitting machines and how the knit patterns for you. That would be awesome if you could plug it into a modern computer to transfer patterns instead of a 1990's computer.
  9. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

10. booman

Home page:
    Thanks!
    I missed working on Cases. I just don't have the money right now.
    Actually I only spent $8 on the armor case mod. Most of it was made with existing materials.

I still have two cases to mod. One day I'll get started and do a pirate theme
  11. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Cool. I want to do case mods, but I don't have a lot of time or money atm. Because I work a lot, when I get home I usually don't hang out on forums so much.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Same here, I have some good ideas, but money is kinda critical to make a good mod. All of my mods were based on taking an old case and refurbing it into a new themed case. so those usually don't cost a whole lot. Its those technical mods with water cooling, 4 video cards, and LED's all over the place that cost a lot of money.