1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD really is the cat's meow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloasters, Nov 15, 2019.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I recall that time as one of great fun. Thank You Daniel!! We wouldn't have AOC (Alliance of Overclocking Arts) without Daniel's pioneering effort! Plus, there would be no Gamers On Linux!! Great credit must be given to Daniel~!!

Those days of old rawked! Yes, I bought a very expensive pre-tested Celeron 350 iirc. It was guaranteed to run at...was it 550 Mhz? Ran cool as a cucumber. I got brave with that one and severed the tiny traces of the four "you are so screwed if your insulation fails on one these four traces when the processor's inside the socket," using a magnifying hood and a needle files, all bought for just this purpose. I felt like a real live tech again! And it worked flawlessly, yay!

I learned a LOT about computers from AOA, ie that L2 Cache was important. Something Celerons lacked completely. It was educational and great fun as well.

I met Surlyjoe and Kaitain at the first AOA anniversary party. Very happy that Kaitain still posts here, he is one smart dude. Surlyjoe made a great impression on me. He wasn't comfortable without a tool in his hand. We watched him create a desk top machine IN THE DARK, by feel alone. What a guy!

This is way overdue, iirc.

Thank you very much, Daniel!
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It's still one of my life pleasures.
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing those pleasures with us!!!
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    ....and the wheel turns:
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thumbs down on this turkey of a processor.