1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manjaro Install from USB Stick

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Daerandin, Jan 16, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    If Manjaro installs as easily as Ubuntu/Mint, has an easy-to-use desktop manager and plays my PlayOnLinux games, then I definitely think its a competitor.
  2. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

(X)Ubuntu and Mint were my main distros for a long time. A few month ago I migrated to Arch because it sounds pretty interesting. But the major reason why i migrated was that I've learned more about Linux and how it works during the two weeks I installed, configured and tweaked my Arch system than in the past two years with Ubuntu. It was a pretty good experience but why did I switch to Manjaro?
    Because Arch Linux means a lot of maintenance. And my notebook is not my main system so I don't want to spend a lot of time for updating my system and fixing bugs. Also, my system wasn't set up perfectly. Still there were a lot of little things which didn't work like the multimedia keys of my keyboard etc.
    With Manjaro you get a full functional system, very stable, with a working desktop and file manager, everything important is already installed AND if you don't want some piece of software etc you can still tweak everything!

But the cons are that you won't get the feel of having your very own configured system like with Arch unless you invest some time in it and like Daerandin said, the software you get isn't the most up-to-date.
  3. booman

Home page:
    So what Distro are you running on your main stystem?

I have noticed that Mint and Ubuntu aren't always up-to-date either.
    If you install Wine or PlayOnLinux its always an older version.
    Even in Mint, Nvidia drivers are old.
  4. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

I'm running Win7 on my main system because of compatibility reasons (recording etc). If it would be possible to record music on Linux with all of my equipment then I would completely migrate to Linux!

But I recommand Manjaro as a main distro. It is very stable because of the slidely older software used in the repository then on Arch but the software is newer then on Ubuntu, even the drivers!

In the next few days I will try out some games on PoL to check how well they run on Manjaro!
  5. booman

Home page:
    Cool, I totally understand recording compatibility. What do you record?
    I've actually recorded two albums myself and played all the instruments (Heavy Metal) about 12 years ago. I really miss it.
    I just read recently about a recording program for Linux, but can't seem to find the name.
    I have a feeling latency will be a problem with Linux and Alsa vs Pulseaudio, but I havn't actually tried recording yet.

Yes, please report what you find with games!
  6. booman

Home page:
  7. Marlhin

Marlhin Member

I also record some metal stuff but nothing special ;) I am not good at playing the guitar although I started playing 8 years ago. But I don't have the time to work on more professional and elaborate projects. Two albums? Wow, this sounds great ;) May I will be able to hear something from you?

Btw, Bitwig looks awesome! Like any other professional recording software. But I also have the feeling that the main problem will be the drivers especially with stability and latency, like you said before.

Concerning PoL: Now that I have found this great website I will follow your guides to get my games running instead of using the standard install scripts in PoL. Your guides are very detailled which is an enormous relief especially for beginners. Keep up the good work! ;)
  8. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I've been using Manjaro since summer 2013. Great distro. After a lot of distro hopping since 2006 I finally found my favourite.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, keep checking in to see what guides we are posting. Feel free to request a guide. Between me and Daerandin, we should have it.
  10. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Manjaro is the most stable distro I have ever used. I use the Manjaro testing repositories with the Linux316 kernel.