1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drakensang Online Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Oct 10, 2014.

• by booman, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Drakensang is free-to-play MMO RPG and only requires a few minutes to setup. The download is literally under 10 Megabytes and the game loads in seconds. If you want to play a quick game with stunning graphics, intense minion skirmishes and cooperative gameplay (PvE & PvP)... Drakensang is the best place to begin!

UPDATE 2024!
    Drakensang Online is now available on Steam and links your steam account directly to the Drakensang servers. No need to login or create a password.

There are a few steps for Drakensang Online to run properly in Steam with Proton!

The Cursor works again! Well at least half of it...
    Change the proton version to Proton Experimental
    Delete the prefix: ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2067850
    Restart Steam and it should appear with half of a cursor!

Launch options: -borderless -novideo -high

Mint 21.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1650
    Nvidia 535
    Proton Experimental 8

dsang-0.jpg dsang-1.jpg dsang-2.jpg dsang-3.jpg dsang-4.jpg dsang-5.jpg dsang-6.jpg dsang-7.jpg dsang-8.jpg dsang-9.jpg dsang-10.jpg dsang-11.jpg dsang-12.jpg dsang-13.jpg dsang-14.jpg dsang-15.jpg dsang-16.jpg dsang-17.jpg dsang-18.jpg dsang-19.jpg dsang-20.jpg dsang-21.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2024

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Oct 10, 2014.

1. stormpower7
    I am also annoyed with the cursor thing. Having been trying and searching for years.
    I found this
    https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47386
    apparently there is a patch that hasn't been included in wine yet and i have no idea how to add a patch nor how to try it in POL. Maybe you can look into this.
    It seems it is not a perfect solution but playable.
  2. booman
    UGH, me as well! I miss Drakensang so much and hope to play it once again.
    I've given up for now...
    Yeah, I saw that patch as well, but compiling Wine with a patched version isn't easy. I used to ask the PlayOnLinux developers to patch versions of Wine and make them available in PlayOnLinux, but they don't respond as much anymore.
  3. stormpower7
    That is a shame but I understand. Hopefully sometime soon the patch does get added to mainstream wine.
    Rather unrelated but have you made a guide for adding proton to playonlinux? I haven't found any here. And I have tried following another guide but playonlinux crashes when I try it.
    booman likes this.
  4. booman
    I have not included proton or DXVK. I tested with ProtonGE and DXVK, but no difference. So frustrating. One of my favorite MMOs out there and it runs great... looks beautiful, but handicapped by the mouse.
    Did you see my video of the symptoms?

Watch the whole video, near the end you can see how the mouse does move, but only when the window moves.
  5. stormpower7
    Yes, its very irritating. It just looks like its taunting us. Every time wine gets an update I got to look if its in the fixes.
  6. booman
    I try Drakensang Online about 3-4 times a year. Some day Wine, Proton or DXVK will allow it to work.
  7. booman
    Tested Drakensang Online today and for a minute the mouse was able to move but then it crashes with a memory error. I'm using Wine 6.17 staging with DXVK 1.9.2
    We are almost there! I also tried Proton 6 and Glorious Eggroll version of Proton... but it only crashes.

2022-01-23-052628_314x82_scrot.png
  8. stormpower7
    Maybe with new Wine 7?
  9. stormpower7
    still not working with 7.1 :(
  10. stormpower7
    I have some exciting news! Drakensang is now on Steam and with a little trick using https://github.com/swillner/highlight-pointer I found in the Proton db compatibility list It's possible to be played again. At this point, we might be disappointed by the game itself, but it is playable anyway.
    I will mention it also works with the game installed in Bottles, and I suppose it will work in Playonlinux.
    booman likes this.
  11. booman
    Disappointed? I could never be disappointed with Drakensang! Thank you so much for sharing!
    I will take a look and give it a try. Does it require Steam or can I still use it with Wine and the downloaded version?
    stormpower7 likes this.
  12. stormpower7
    It works with wine and downloaded version, the trick is independent of steam.
    booman likes this.
  13. stormpower7
    Wonder if it worked for anyone else?
  14. booman
    I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to make a note to give it a try in PlayOnLinux with Wine and Proton.
    stormpower7 likes this.
  15. booman
    I tried Drakensang Online in Steam today.
    Had to use Proton 7 and a cursor highlight too, but it worked!
    My only problem was minimizing and maximizing.

Cursor Highlight tool
    Install via terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xdotool
    Run in terminal before launching game
    Code:
    watch -n 1 'xdotool key space'
    Doesn't work in the menus, so enable mouse position with Ctrl in Linux Mint system settings. Then tap Ctrl to see the mouse location.

upload_2023-12-15_14-42-4.png

Kind of a hassle, but it works!

I'll make a new video of the game!
    stormpower7 likes this.
  16. booman
    Just took a video this morning. Will post in a few days.
  17. booman
    Here it is!
    I'm going to add instructions to the video and update this guide.
    Specially now that Drakensang Online is free on Steam

18. booman
    good news! There must have been an update to Drakensang Online, I now have a partial cursor. Its like half a hand but its better than nothing. Now I no longer have to use the Terminal and the command
  19. stormpower7
    That is great news, going to check it out.
    booman likes this.